Ubitx kit transceivers

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Buick Mackane

Ubitx kit transceivers

Post by Buick Mackane »

Has anybody built one of these kits ? Whats your thoughts on them ? Be interested to know.

Cheers all.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Re: Ubitx kit transceivers

Post by DX-Digger »

The main boards are already built, all you really have to do is to connect up the lcd module wire up key and mic etc and house it in an enclosure.
Try joining https://groups.io/g/BITX20 it covers the bitx20 bitx40 and the uBitx
Here is a few pictures of my bitx40

Hope that helps.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Looking good DX Digger. Iv'e just built the 0-30mhz version (version 4) The point of the thread was just to discuss the radios, Pros/cons mods etc. A good mic to use with these radios is the yaesu MH-67A8J, Mine is a cheap chinese knock off but works well. Was using a bumfeng mic, But was having to scream at the top of my voice to get any power from the radio.

DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Ahh I see, Well I used a Cleartone electret mic with mine that I pulled from the junk box. The buttons dont function, but maybe in the future I could rewire up an 8pin mic socket and wire them for frequency up and down.The mic works well as its amplified.
I tend to use it for QRP CW mainly.
I also have some of the original BITX20 pcbs but as usual I have too many projects so they are on the back burner.
The BITX40 and uBITX are great lil rigs, which only require wiring up so are great for a beginner to try.

One of the cons is you sometimes gen noise from the LCD display and oscillator, so may have to fabricate a tin metal shield and add a few decoupling
caps. But there is lots of help in the [email protected]
great lil rig to get started on for any ham as its ssb/cw so non Morse hams also get to play qrp radio. Some use it for FT8 aswell.

:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

DX-Digger wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 15:08

One of the cons is you sometimes gen noise from the LCD display and oscillator, so may have to fabricate a tin metal shield and add a few decoupling
caps. But there is lots of help in the [email protected]
great lil rig to get started on for any ham as its ssb/cw so non Morse hams also get to play qrp radio. Some use it for FT8 aswell.

Can't say iv'e noticed any of the above issues and mine is housed in a plastic case. One thing they don't make clear is the alignment procedure, I had to do a bit of googling, Turns out it's just a matter of adjusting the calibrate option via the menu, the default value is zero, Had to adjust mine up to +18, As i was a few Khz off frequency. Simply adjusted it to read 10.000 mhz on a frequency counter. V4 Has harmonic problems above 18 mhz, They recommend changing the relays and a few inductors in the bandpass, Not really bothered as i never work above 14mhz.

Dunno about your version but mine had really low audio, Could barely hear it, Apparently is an issuse with V4 Versions, Got round it by adding a LM386 Module for about £2 quid on ebay.

Power wise its doing about 12 watts on 40/80 metres and 7 on 20m. Added a small cooling fan on the finals, All in all not a bad little radio for the money.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I finished building my Ubitx HF transceiver about 3 weeks ago and it works pretty good. Some of the parts were already assembled so the build was pretty much half done. I use a mag loop with mine but the SWR on 40 goes a bit high so I don't think my mag loop can handle 40 to well. I need to look at my loop again but handles 30 upwards to 17 meters so its all good. RX on 40 meters is good on the loop but not so good on TX. I've been using it for 20 meter contacts on the mag loop. I may have to build another loop to use 40 meters.

I built two ILER40's as well but one of them developed a fault which I expect its just a question of doing some trouble shooting at some point. I've been looking for an ILER20 to mount into an old CB radio. Old broken CB radios make excellent little boxes for these kinds of kits.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

The ubitx doesn't have AGC, So to save your ears being blown off when receiving strong signals try this simple but clever circuit. The parts aren't that critical. Most general purpose NPN Transistors will work. The LDR Resistor i'm using is a GL5506, They're just over a quid for ten on ebay. LED should be a super bright one, Some colours work better than others, The one i'm using is white and it works fine, You can also use the circuit to drive a crude S-meter.