Rubber duck antennas ,testing swr advise please

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Rubber duck antennas ,testing swr advise please

Post by original45 »

I have a couple of rubber duck antennas I wish to check out on swr meter. 2m 70 handies
However my meter is old school with both connections on rear plate so won't all sit inline above mount

I'm wondering if I connect with coax I will get a close to correct reading or by adding coax it becomes part of antenna ?

Doesn't help that their sma and my meter is so239 so even more connectors needed.
I don't get on with complicated modern digital stuff and prefer analogue needle. As well as testing antenna I wish to test counterpoise wires when fitted also to finer tune length.

Will it work or not please.
Thanks.
Last edited by original45 on 15 Aug 2020, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Re: Rubber such antennas ,testing swr advise please

Post by lambrettadave »

You could get a right angle adaptor for the so239 and then a reducer from pl to sma
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Rubber duck antennas ,testing swr advise please

Post by original45 »

Just ordered one Dave sounds fine thank you.
See how we get on .

Atvb
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

The handie is the other half of the antenna with rubber ducks, even the longer 5/8 ducks use the handie for return currents/groundplane so measuring as it is on the handie is not possible,

sticking meters between them as seen on tv/internet won't give a true reading but it can tell you if its miles away/faulty/open /short curcuit,

measuring on coax will make the coax outer braid part of the antenna as you said,
you could add radials & some ferrite to decouple it from the coax braid or stick it on a mag-mount & measure it,

but that only tells you the match to the coax in that configuration, neither will tell you with any accuracy what load the transmitter is seeing when its on the handie,

a method of tuning if you want to play with wire radials is use a field strength meter or a receiver s-meter & trim for maximum signal.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you I can try few of those ideas.
I have a racial piece ,bits on way also to connect to magmount also.
Never straightforward.
Appreciate your knowledge shared.
Cheers