Base station antenna

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Base station antenna

Post by Ant »

What's the best dual band base station antenna I could buy? It may be a bit of a vague question, but I know there are 2m 70cm antennas, but there's a few and wondering which one I should get, collinear or not or what....

Thanks.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Base station antenna

Post by ch25 »

Best would be directional one.
If we talk vertical: for receive only/transmit/input power lvl?
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Ant

Post by Ant »

Omni-directional preferably as I'd want to TX/RX to as far and wide as I can.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Most of Diamond or similar verticals are deaf out of the band. Also not capable to handle power. I fried F23 and and X510 with 100W SSB.
Otherwise 510N is nice vertical for a start.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Ant

Post by Ant »

Deaf out of the band?

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Genuine Diamond verticals are probably the best, so long as they're installed correctly and you use decent feeder.

The X-510N or the X-700HN are the two high performance models but the X-700HN is 24' long and will whip about, so 70cm signals will definitely be subject to fade and flutter.

As Chris states, don't expect great performance out of band, as they are designed and tuned specifically for the amateur bands and will not work well if you venture too far either side.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Well, it's a dual band antenna, I don't expect to use it for anything else. I did mention in my post 2m and 70cm. But I'll take a look at the Diamond ones, thanks.

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

X510 perform well, though mine did develop a fault. They are also very heavy antennas. Performance wise they are the best dual band vertical I have used.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The performance specs for antennas are always a compromise. The best of them might for similar products offer maybe .5dB difference - so practically nothing you would notice, but then most of us compromise on the height and the cable loss. We agonise between brand X and brand Y antennas, but don't do the same with the cable, and we lose more in cable losses than we gain with the difference antennas. The dual band white stick types are so close for the same size that the things to consider would be the next size (and price bracket up), with a taller mounting. A 6m 50mm pole instead of the 2m one brings more of an improvement than the antennas swap. So the rule is the biggest and highest you can get, works the best. Your wallet works the opposite way.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've an idea. I have a yagi tv aerial on the roof at the moment on the gable end. We don't even use it, so that can come down and a coelinear can go in its place. Then on another part of the roof I can have my scanner antenna up where I wanted it and possibly my CB antenna.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend/link me to where I can get one of those rigs for setting an antenna up on the lawn, like a temporary rig? I've seen some kits but they looked like telescopic antennas rather than retractable masts. Thanks.

Ant

Post by Ant »

When choosing one of these antennas, say the diamonds mentioned above, what are the key factors? The gain? I noticed the two mentioned above, the 510 and 700 are about 5 metres long. I was wondering if the X-50 would work for me, being a more discreet 1.7m long.

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Ant wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 05:50 When choosing one of these antennas, say the diamonds mentioned above, what are the key factors? The gain? I noticed the two mentioned above, the 510 and 700 are about 5 metres long. I was wondering if the X-50 would work for me, being a more discreet 1.7m long.
You asked what was the best, hence the 510 & 700.
If you can go to about 3m, I'd recommend the Diamond X300N.

Diamond are manufactured to a higher standard and should last longer and performance should be exactly as per published figures. There are many clones, some better than others, mostly inferior to original Diamonds.

The X50 is an ok antenna but it will not perform as well as the others. It depends what you're looking to do. Sitting on a local repeater or chatting to your mates 10 miles away will not require anything elaborate. The key to decent performance from any of these is height & free space.
Auldgeek - Drew

Ant

Post by Ant »

Auldgeek wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 14:42
Ant wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 05:50 When choosing one of these antennas, say the diamonds mentioned above, what are the key factors? The gain? I noticed the two mentioned above, the 510 and 700 are about 5 metres long. I was wondering if the X-50 would work for me, being a more discreet 1.7m long.
You asked what was the best, hence the 510 & 700.
If you can go to about 3m, I'd recommend the Diamond X300N.

Diamond are manufactured to a higher standard and should last longer and performance should be exactly as per published figures. There are many clones, some better than others, mostly inferior to original Diamonds.

The X50 is an ok antenna but it will not perform as well as the others. It depends what you're looking to do. Sitting on a local repeater or chatting to your mates 10 miles away will not require anything elaborate. The key to decent performance from any of these is height & free space.
When you say height, do you mean situation height of the antenna, rather than the height as in length?

Are the lengths of the antenna simply a result of what's necessary to give the db gain performance?

I can easily fix my antenna to be well above the roof top of my house. It can go on the gable end where the TV antenna was removed from.

One of the reasons for considering the X50 was that as I'll be above the roof, there are no radials on the X50 for the pigeons to sit on. Pigeons are a real problem around here, which is why that TV yagi came off, as all it did was give the pigeons somewhere to sit and crap down my landing window.

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Ant wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 19:08

When you say height, do you mean situation height of the antenna, rather than the height as in length?
Height would be height above ground & free space is clear of any obstacles such as buildings, other aerials & 1 wavelength away if possible.
Are the lengths of the antenna simply a result of what's necessary to give the db gain performance?
Yes, that's correct. If you look at the specs of the various antennas, you will see different wavelengths mentioned such as
3 x 5/8 etc. Internally, they are just a collection of coils & wire throughout their lengths, matched to present 50 ohms at the base. You will often hear these referred as collinears.
I can easily fix my antenna to be well above the roof top of my house. It can go on the gable end where the TV antenna was removed from.

One of the reasons for considering the X50 was that as I'll be above the roof, there are no radials on the X50 for the pigeons to sit on. Pigeons are a real problem around here, which is why that TV yagi came off, as all it did was give the pigeons somewhere to sit and crap down my landing window.
If it has no radials, I doubt it's a genuine Diamond.
Yes, bird crap is a downside to having horizontal elements on a yagi or vertical.
Regardless of antenna, choose the very best coax you can afford, as losses really start to mount up very quickly at these frequencies and it impacts both TX & RX. M&P Hyperflex or Ultraflex 10 would be my choice. Westflex 103 is decent enough but it's quite stiff.
Auldgeek - Drew

Ant

Post by Ant »

Yes the X50 does have radials, for some reason I thought it didn't. Hopefully they're small enough to not be so attractive to the pigeons.