which to buy? Yaesu ft 450D or ft 891?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
therocker
Regular
Regular

which to buy? Yaesu ft 450D or ft 891?

Post by therocker »

I'm ready to purchase a new H.F radio, however making the choice between the ft 450 and ft 891 is not easy. The prices are similar but there is very little information on the ft 891. I use resonant antenna set ups so the tuner doesn't come in to it. Any thoughts? Cheers Matt
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: which to buy? Yaesu ft 450D or ft 891?

Post by Tigersaw »

In my experience both good radio's.
891 only available used (as far as I know), dated but solid technology, has 2/70 as well as HF. No matcher, but you say that’s fine and good on you using proper resonant antenna.
450 is no frills HF goodness, newer generation technology.
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

The FT891 is a available new, it hasn't long been released. It is HF/6 only, no VHF/UHF.

I had a long drawn out play with the FT891 which was on display on Yaesu's stand at the last Lincoln show. Indeed, the only reason I went there was to look at the 891 (don't usually do rallies these days).

I found it to be a nice little radio, quite liked it. But, for me.. fiddly as hell as it is very small. Despite studying various pictures and videos during my research, hell even measuring up to see how and where it would fit in the car, it still appeared much smaller in real life than I had maybe expected.

The size may be OK perhaps when sat on the bench at home, but I was looking at it to be used in a mobile installation only (detachable front). Which meant I just couldn't help thinking how much fiddlier it would become if I were actually using it mobile (driving along, not static).

So in the end I declined placing a pre order with Lynchies (which was my intention whilst I was there). I do like the look and feel of the 891 though, don't get me wrong. I was quite looking forward to running one mobile. It is just that my fat and somewhat clumsy fingers.... and it, are not perhaps the best marriage. That might not be an issue for others though.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

oops sorry, I'm mixing 891 with 897.
I dont rate the 891 personally, if its a mobile form it should have 2m / 70cm
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Tigersaw wrote:if its a mobile form it should have 2m / 70cm
Ha ha, speak for yourself. I don't even like having 6m on a HF transceiver, but I can just about tolerate it if I really really had to. Indeed, one of the reasons I got excited about the 891 was because it lacked VHF/UHF :thumbup:
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Best mobile radio I've had is a 7100, for ease of use whilst mobile and the remote head.
nk4te
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: NK4TE

Post by nk4te »

Tigersaw wrote: 18 Jan 2017, 15:55 In my experience both good radio's.
891 only available used (as far as I know), dated but solid technology, has 2/70 as well as HF. No matcher, but you say that’s fine and good on you using proper resonant antenna.
450 is no frills HF goodness, newer generation technology.
Last edited by nk4te on 04 Oct 2020, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Post by SgtBilko302 »

I've had both radio's as home base use. The 891 is by far the better radio for receive as it picks up very little noise and gives a good reading on the meter. The menu system is a bit complicated compared to other mobile sets.
The 450d is also a good set but i think it's a bit vanilla / plain and not very pleasing on the eye.
Both are easy to open up for 11mtr if that's your thing but my choice would be the 891.

Paul.