anyone extended a 706mk2G remote head ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

anyone extended a 706mk2G remote head ?

Post by bigbloke »

Hi all,

Has anyone ever , either:

A) cut the umbilical between the body of an icom 706mk2g and extended it a few metres, or

B) installed a 706 by the rear door of a vw t5 van and managed to route the stock cable to the top of the dash.

If A) did it work ? [is there a maximum length it could be like USB]
If B) how did you route the cable please?

Regards

BB
madman1027

Re: anyone extended a 706mk2G remote head ?

Post by madman1027 »

I've extended an ft8900 to 30m with cat5e cable & it worked fine, however working HF may be a different case, I have also seen a case of someone reverse engineering the communcations between the head & body then operate the body with the head via IP using a couple of arduino's as an interface, I'm struggling to find the video but will keep looking.

I also had the 5m seperation cable for the 706mk2g & used it when operating portable so I had space on my table (toolbox with wheels) & a 40m vertical about 15m away with no issue, I would think inside the van with good connections made & screened it would work fine, I'd be tempted to cust the stock cable near one end and terminate the bare ends with RJ45 inline sockets & a custom cat5e cable, that way it will be nice & clean but also easy to change the length of the cable run without any more butchering of the stock cable.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I had a damaged one once, done the usual 'splice and dice' on it to fix it, but alas, it never worked again. Not sure if it was my handy work or the cable being beyond repair, but it *should be straight forward.

The Yaesu 857 used a Cat5-type jack on the end, so extending that was a doddle with a patch lead, but of course Icom want you to pay for their specific one. also, be very careful not to lose that screw which fixes to the main unit, as the stupid connector won't stay booted without it! #toptip ;-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

Yes the CAT-6 cable was my preferred splice route having rewired the mic countless times with a CAT-5 Plug :-)

Ive discovered that I also have a resonant length of co-ax too which both adversely affects tuning and has blown
up the stereo's reversing camera input. Ironically the cheap as chips ebay camera was not the sacrificial component,
it was the expensive pioneer stereo! :-/

By moving the 706 to a re-sprayed slide mount, recovered from an old pye cambridge and locating it near the rear doors I hope
to mitigate the resonant cable length as well as create space under the drivers seat for a leisure battery / habitation heater.

Getting a 30A capable feed to the back of the van is childs play but not knowing whether the umbilicall deployed, say, USB technology
for the control part (would make sense as normally USB is limited to 5m) I was reticent to cut into is straight away! Also although 5m seems like a
HUGE cable length its surprising how much a SWB van can "consume" that length and still not reach the top of the dash :-(

thinking about it there must be a circuit diagram on the FCC compliance website ? I'll give that a trawl later

Regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

Hmm..no idea how the double post occured ???

Can a mod please tidy that up then delete this post please ?

MTIA
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

bigbloke wrote:Hmm..no idea how the double post occured ???

Can a mod please tidy that up then delete this post please ?

MTIA
Shazam! :ugeek:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |