looking for your thoughts please ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

looking for your thoughts please ?

Post by listner132 »

Hi guys just looking for some help here i have a 5 year old boxed icom 718 here that i love to bits but i have been offered a swop for a yaesu ft757 gx with fist mic and a nice md1 desk mic also a fc-757 auto atu question is would this be a fair deal ?

thanks.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Re: looking for your thoughts please ?

Post by zippy »

I am one person and one opinion, my opinion is only worth the text on this screen.

In my world your radio is worth £420 and their radio and assorted kit £280.

You do the maths.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Thanks for your reply zippy.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I wouldn't. The 757 is a much older radio (80's) and in my experience radios of this age are developing faults. The Icom is a much more modern and advanced rig and should give good service for quite a while to come.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

The 757 is notorious for logic related faults in if the logic board goes you have a nice doorstop.
Keep the Icom, save up some cash and trade if for a 756 Pro or something better - don't go backwards.
zippy

Post by zippy »

I was doing pure pounds, shillings and pence, as the other guys say, the 757 is a nice entry level radio, but from a different era.

not sure if you're a cber, if you are then would you swap your Lincoln2 for my multimode2, 50w burner and power mic? not a chance.(theoretical as I don't have a mm2).
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

The Icom is an entry level radio - why on earth would you want to trade a modern entry level radio for a 30 year old entry level radio? :crazy:
If it the lure of the old style looks and analogue s-meter that are clouding your judgement then rest assured you will be seriously disappointed when it starts to fail miserably and you are left without a radio - google FT-757 faults, they only get worse.

Word of advice, if you are tired of your current rig then look to progress upwards - not backwards.
Best of luck.

Rob.
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

thanks guys...yes i just fancied a wee change like the look of the older stuff ie 820s/101zd but iafter doing some online digging then seems you guys are correct about all the faults that the 757 can and do suffer from..told the guy i was just going to look for another radio..so if anyone knows anybody that would like my 718 please get in touch via pm..

thanks again for all the advice guys.
zippy

Post by zippy »

if you fancy some 'seat of your pants' radio, then the 757 will deliver, it's a good radio, the receive is akin to the frg8800 which is okay but not brilliant, and it pumps out 100w all day long as the whole chassis is a heatsink, they are fun and quirky sets, ideal for mobile use and cover 11m very well with the flick of an internal switch. anyone that bleats on about lpf out of band is a mug.
if you need an auto atu then you need to consider how seriously you take the hobby.
if you do fancy a change then I would suggest he comes up with about a hundred and fifty notes to go on top of his kit for yours.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

As with all older HF sets wear & tear is an issue,not just old capacitors etc,i have had a couple of 757's that have had VFO control issues,there is a round plastic diaphragm inside the VFO control that gets worn,this can make the control feel tight or worse still finally fail totally,had a couple like this over the years.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

zippy wrote: if you do fancy a change then I would suggest he comes up with about a hundred and fifty notes to go on top of his kit for yours.
I agree :thumbup: myself i would stick to the 718 although they don't have FM for if you choose to wideband it,the 718 is a good radio & at least you can hook it up to use on HRD if you want to.