2m multimode transceiver

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
acl777

Re: 2m multimode transceiver

Post by acl777 » 18 Nov 2015, 20:52

Thanks, I'm looking into them now.

AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

Post by AxleJack » 31 Dec 2015, 04:40

I used to be a keen 2m SSB op back in the 1990s. We even had a vertical mobile net for a while. I recently had a burst of enthusiasm for it again, which has faded now.

Back then I used a Yaesu FT480 and a FT290R2. The 480 is a good rig but deaf as a post. If you can get one with the mutek pre-amp conversion they work OK but otherwise they are not competitive these days.

If you want to do 2m SSB now, I would recommend not buying anything more than 10 years old. If you got an older radio which worked well with sensitive receive, brilliant, but you'd be lucky. Most are now past their best. Your best option to get a reliable radio with all the options you'll want is to go for a Yaesu FT817/857/897 or an Icom 706mk2G. These are good radios, but still not outstanding receiver performance. A pre-amp will improve performance. I'd avoid the original 706 as they are old enough to be having reliability issues, especially with the audio amp.

All the serious guys are going for Icom IC910. But they are a bit pricey.

In short, there just isn't anything really good for 2m SSB at an entry level price. That's why a load of people build transvertors to work VHF.

slamjam
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26DT871

Post by slamjam » 02 Jan 2016, 23:36

The 910 is rubbish in my opinion. I'd get a TS-2000 / 847 or ideally a decent HF rig with a transverter.
I have a 910x here for 23cm and it's not been turned on in a year or so. For 2m I use a 756pro with an SSB Electronics LT2s mk 2 transverter and an amp. For 70cm I use the TS-2000
There are some cheap Ukrainian transverters on ebay at the mo so that might be a cheap way onto the band. The antennas you can make yourself or find a cheap used 9 ele tonna. Remember at VHF every DB counts so don't use cheap cable and plugs etc - You'll be surprised what you can work with a very small antenna when band conditions are right.
26DT871 - Ipswich UK

Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile » 04 Jan 2016, 17:49

Axle,

If you had a vertical mobile net then I feel for you as you'd of missed out on a whole pile of horizontally polarised sideband op's including all the mobileers using halo's and such!

I still have a TS700 with Mutek front end which I feel will stand up against most every current 'fit it in a fag packet' multimode rig and shine:

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts700s.htm

Note the stock sensitivity, selectivity and image rejection figures with the Mutek front end improving these figures further taking it comfortably into contest winning performance territory. (If you can't hear them you can't work them.

16 ele Tonna + 1800W took me to Spain under flat conditions.

I run another 'old 2m multimode' mobile the TM-255E: http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/tm255e.htm which I'm building another amp for.

These occasionally come up for sale and are really very good mobile performers for not much money.

Why spend a grand when you can spend £100.00 with same or better result?

Unit 148 Mobile

AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

Post by AxleJack » 04 Jan 2016, 19:20

Why do internet people always take everything so literally?
Just because I said I had a vertical mobile net, you assume that's all I ever did.

And yes there are some really good old radios out there, which tend to be coveted. There are also a lot more that are not so good. Why spend a grand when you can spend 100 and have a 5 to 1 chance its any good.

Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile » 09 Jan 2016, 14:50

Answer: Because you do your research including past reviews on the different models to see how they fared and if they have the features & functionality you're after then set auto-search on eBay until such a set comes up for auction or for sale.

You check the sellers feedback rating and returns policy.

If for any reason it does not meet the description you return it for a refund and try again.

This way you've increased the odds from 5/1 to 100/1 on getting a good deal.

Simples.

Unit 148 Mobile