2 meter halo loop

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

2 meter halo loop

Post by MW6ZAN »

Hi all im going to be running 2 meters ssb over the summer and will be building a 4 element 2 meter yagi i have noted in my june issue of radcom adverts for 2 meter halo loops at a very good price im wondering if a halo loop would have an advantage over the 4 element beam any thoughts. 73
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Re: 2 meter halo loop

Post by GW0DIV »

Its omnidirectional.
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Personally for DX on 2m I'd be looking at at least an 8 element, probably 11 element beam, 4 ele will give you about an S point gain over a horizontal dipole.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Barnbilly

Post by Barnbilly »

Admiral wrote:Personally for DX on 2m I'd be looking at at least an 8 element, probably 11 element beam, 4 ele will give you about an S point gain over a horizontal dipole.
What e said, an t' halo will be the same as t' dipole in terms of gain
Dont worry what class of licence he holds, worry what class of bias he applies to the amplifier !
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I think the Halo will be down on the dipole as the halo spreads its radiation over a greater arc. I think. Feels right....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
G8YMW

Post by G8YMW »

As someone who does ssb on V/UHF and used a halo, I would agree with you Andy, negative gain against a dipole.
If MW6ZAN is after an omni I would suggest a cloverleaf, the Wimo "Big Wheel". Beats a halo into a cocked hat.
The main reason for a horizontal omni is as a "sniffer" aerial. Against a 4 ele there will not be much advantage as the yagi will have a wide "nose"
Build the 4 ele, do NOT scrimp on coax (RG213 the ABSOLUTE minimum) and listen on the first Tuesday of the month between 2000 and 2230 local time
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

thanks guys for the input im building a 5 element beam for two got a small rotator will be fitting into roof space and a halo is omni directional may build one just to try thanks again 73.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Those halo antennas are all cornbread and chicken to me, I find dipoles seem to do better