TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control fix

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control fix

Post by Ashtec »

Here's a post that will help some of you that's pissed off with your TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control playing up as most TS570 owner's know when this control plays up it can drive you mad :x as the control dose a lot of functions...............
I have seen a lot of post's here and there saying spray switch cleaner into the back of the control pot!!
Yer right into a sealed control pot i think not :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Some rig doc's just don't know what there on about!!
The only way to stop your Multi channel/Menu control playing up and driving you mad is to replace the rotary control but i don't know how much they are if you can get them.
Or you can remove and strip rotary control down to be cleaned as i've have done!!!!

"Now don't try this if you are not very good with an soldering iron you can not stick weld in these radio's"
You will need a very fine tipped soldering iron for this job...
Also you can not be hand fisted.............

You will need to Remove the top and bottom cover's to get at the front panel then remove the 2 screws from either side of the front panel at the top and remove the 2 at the bottom at the hinge...
Now the front will come away from the radio be careful when you pull the front panel a way as you need to disconnect the ribbon and wire plugs from the front panel don't strain any of the wires or cables....
Now the front can come away from the radio to be worked on now you need to remove the actual plastic face off of the radio's front panel chassis so remove all the knob's from the front and the VFO knob.
You will need to pull the rubber off and find an Allen key for the grub screw that holds the VFO knob on then you need to remove the VFO lock (you will find a screw behind this remove it) then unclip the front face from chassis now un do all the control pot nuts to do with the main PCB as well as removing the screws that hold the PCB in to the chassis un do the VFO unit nut and remove the ear phone socket clip and that's it. The PCB is out its chassis!!!
I will finsh write up after tea brack ;)
Last edited by Ashtec on 17 Jan 2013, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Re: TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control fix

Post by Ashtec »

Right im back..............

Now get your fine tip iron hot and fined a good solder sucker out and unsold the x4 pin's of the rotary control make shore you get all the solder away from the pin's as its soldered both sides of the PCB failing to do this will rip the tracking off the pcb!!
So take your time but don't over heat the PCB.
When you have removed all the solder from these pin's you will see above the pin's you have unsoldered x2 more pin's remove the solder from these as well...
These are a part of the body of the rotary control that hold it in place on the PCB.
That's it the rotary control should come away from the PCB to be worked on!!!!
Now its time to strip it down.
You should have some think like this now siting on you desk.......

Another tea brack i think ;)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Now as you can see from the pic above there is 4 tag's these are a part of the body of the rotary control that hold the back of it to it carefully peel these back like this.....

Once these are peeled back the back of the unit will come away from the body like this.....

Now you will need to get the 100% alcohol out to start cleaning!!!!

Another tea brack i think ;)
Stewart
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Stewart »

Bloody hell Paul. How many tea bags do you get through in a day? You have more tea breaks then a decorator.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

A few :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right now its in bits and you have got the 100% alcohol out to use you will need to start cleaning away at the rotor remove all the grease off of it as this is what start's the skipping problem off as the grease pick's up dirt and filings from the rotor over time but there is load's of life left in the rotor its not worn out..................

Once you have removed all the crap and grease off the rotor get a very fine precision screwdriver and just rub the face of the rotor to get the brass to shine.

Now get the back of the control body and drop that into a cup of 100% alcohol.
"Don't rub at it as there are x3 very fine leaves terminals inside it Just leave the alcohol to do its work"

When clean looking pull it out the alcohol and have a look at the end of the leaves terminals if there is any blacking then gently rub with the fine precision screwdriver and just rub the face of them to shine don't bend them be very careful with them.
And that's it put it back together......
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

If it's your own radio and you're feeling a bit DIY then OK, but as a repair for someone it's not worth the trouble.

Part number W02-1901-05 is about £10
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Right let's put it back together..

Right put the rotor in to the back of the control back so it look's like this......

Now you will have a copper plate with a notch on it this give's the the control a notch feel as you turn the control rotor fit this to the back with the notch pointing at the rotor disk there is also to x2 lug's on the back body that go though this to Aline it-up so it should look like this...............

Now that is done you will need to fit the bush on to the rotor's shaft now the rotor has a notch that aline's with the control back........

This faces down words or points down to the x4 pin's of the control now fit the body to the backing of the control pot but note that the longer end of the body's hole point's to the x4 pin's to fit it together and locate the x2 lug's on the back body in to the body to Aline it-up so it should look like this when done...............

Now hold tight and bend the x4 lug's back to were they was when started.........

And that's it check that you have the notch feel to it if so you have restored it...

now to refit it back to the radio...........
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Now go back to the PCB and have a look at the hole's where the pin's of the control pot go though to see if there is any solder in them.
If there is then it will need to be removed or you may damage the PCB track's or at worst you will push the tracking off the PCB as you push the pin's of the control pot though the PCB.
"I've seen this done a few time's"
So to remove the solder out of the hole's reheat the solder ring's with your iron don't forget don't get them to hot or you will damage the rings.
Now get your self a wooden toothpick and carefully push in to the holes let the toothpick do the work dont push like mad or you will damage the PCB track!!!

Now it should look like this.................

Now place the control pot pin's though the PCB and rest the control pot in place of were it has to be.

Once that is done solder the top part of the x4 control pot pin's to top side of PCB and don't forget don't get it to hot we are not welding..............

So you should now have some think looking like this.......

Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Now that is done turn the PCB over and solder the X4 pin's of the control pot.
"Not to much solder it don't need it"
Once that is done we need to bend the too body lugs over a bit and they will need soldering to the pcb these hold the control pot in place.

SOi sould look like this now then???

That's it remove any flux off the PCB and that's it job done now put the radio back together

I Hope this was some help to some one out there this radio was JibberJabber's old one and over the last few days its been driving me **** mad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So i had a bit of time so i pulled it apart to sort it out i would have to wait a few day for a new part so i striped the control to short it and i can say its working 100% now thank god!!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

darkone wrote:If it's your own radio and you're feeling a bit DIY then OK, but as a repair for someone it's not worth the trouble.

Part number W02-1901-05 is about £10
I know I know but it was diving me mad today i couldn't get the part today so i had some time so i striped it down to sort it ;) ;) ;)
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

Ashtec wrote:I know I know but it was diving me mad today i couldn't get the part today so i had some time so i striped it down to sort it ;) ;) ;)
Impatience - The mother of all DIY :)
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

darkone wrote:
Ashtec wrote:I know I know but it was diving me mad today i couldn't get the part today so i had some time so i striped it down to sort it ;) ;) ;)
Impatience - The mother of all DIY :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a radio ham not a parts fitter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had to do this job a few time's on Ranger RCI radio's as you can not get the control pots from any were!
It only took 1/2 hour to do it took longer to write this up :roll: :roll:

Still i hope it's some help to some one posting this up........
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Nice work Paul..... I have seen quite a few posts..'just pop another unit in'... ;) .... In the right hands all good...Way beyond me ... The M0 i bought it from told me it was fine when it left him .... and all i needed to do was tighten it up.... 8) .... ;)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

JibberJabber wrote:Nice work Paul..... I have seen quite a few posts..'just pop another unit in'... ;) .... In the right hands all good...Way beyond me ... The M0 i bought it from told me it was fine when it left him .... and all i needed to do was tighten it up.... 8) .... ;)
Thanks there JibberJabber yep i've had a lot of bull shiter's selling me radio's with the same saying's
(It was fine when it left here .... and all you need to is ............ 8) .... Quote

It wasn't to bad when i got it off you if you was slow with it....
But as time has gone on and it's being used now and then it got worse skipping all over the place in the menu it took me a good 10 min's to get to the TX EQ :lol: :lol: :lol:

So it was time to sort it out as it was driving me mad :x :x
Skipping all over the place in the menu and trying to set the mic gain up ;)

So 1/2 hour spent on it has sorted the fault out i've been spinning it about and all is fine with the control now so the fix has worked i know i could buy the new part but it would have to be ordered in so that mean's waiting.
I was in the mood for fixing it today as it pissed me off :lol: :lol: if i had to wait for a ordered part it would of set about for a good bit of time until i was in the mood to fit it.
I have to be in the right mood these days to sit and fix some think ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Prostetnic
Regular
Regular

Post by Prostetnic »

I know this is an old post but it is still an occurring problem.
I am really grateful this is still here, followed the instructions and with a piece of solder wick managed to release the encoder.
Used some of the hand wipes I had to clean it up, put it back together and man it works a treat.

Thanks.