SWR Meter Help

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

SWR Meter Help

Post by Robin1 »

Hello Guys,

I need help with a small swr meter I received today. The Avair AV-201

When I check the swr on my main transceiver SWR meter the swr is fine and absolutely perfect on the SSB part of 80m. When the SWR is fitted in line with the rig it goes far above 5 on the rigs meter and the Avair . I have tried different patch leads and this doesn't solve the problem.

So in other words the Meter on my radio which is an FT-990, states the SWR is fine but when the SWR is connected the 990 shows high swr.

Any suggestions and can anyone supply an instruction manual? I might need one of these.

Cheers!
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: SWR Meter Help

Post by darkone »

It really shouldn't make any difference, so i'd suspect either the Avair is broken in some way or the patch lead is defective?

I've got a 990 here that's been in for repair at the moment and just out of curiosity i've fired it up and checked it with an external meter.

The SWR meter reading doesn't change on the radio with an external meter in-line.
In-built meter and the external meter are in agreement reading an antenna and on various test loads.
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

Have you got a SWR meter you can borrow off a friend that he knows works.
m3pog

Post by m3pog »

For what its worth, same here. Ive got an FT-990, just put a similar meter in line and they both read the same.
Themightyimp
Regular
Regular

Post by Themightyimp »

It looks like the 990 is popular,I also own one.I don't have a seperate swr meter though,I just go by what the radio tells me.Also the atu is always switched so if swr goes high it kicks in and saves my ass.lol
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

Sounds like the internal auto atu on the radio is on... Turn it off and try again.
YB135
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Robin1 »

The 990 is popular! lol :lol:
YB135 wrote:Sounds like the internal auto atu on the radio is on... Turn it off and try again.
Its not on, i have no need for the tuner on 80m, fully resonant. I only need it to tune to 40 etc.

Looks like once again i have been conned from ebay. I wonder why the advert has "Sold as seen". Should have bloody known it.

I will try and do some tests and see where i can go from there.