Need help looking for a good, VHF UHF SWR meter.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
ian
Call Sign: 108SD121

Need help looking for a good, VHF UHF SWR meter.

Post by ian » 31 Oct 2019, 15:02

Hi I'm looking for a VHF UHF SWR meter, I've had a look on a few of the ham shops on the net for prices. But don't know what to go for, can someone help me work out which one to go. I'm looking for a good quality and value for money, thanks.
De Ian 108SD121 - 108ID121 - 108OP121.

Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Need help looking for a good, VHF UHF SWR meter.

Post by Tigersaw » 31 Oct 2019, 15:20

Are you looking for something to leave inline and look pretty all the time or something just for setting up?
Good analogue inline meters are expensive, check out Diamond or Avair for instance, especially if you want UHF.
If its just for the occasional check, its cheaper to get one of the digital offerings for about £50.
Also, depending on the radio, it may well have one built in.

I use an old school twin meter 150Mhz rated one from my CB days, probably not accurate at UHF but it does find the sweet spot just as well as a UHF meter.

Transwarp
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Need help looking for a good, VHF UHF SWR meter.

Post by Transwarp » 16 Nov 2019, 21:22

Just get a second hand one for the frequencies you'll be using to tune antennas at set up, imo no point forking out top money for and having in-line all the time especially if your radio(s) has/have built in one(s) to keep an eye on.
"Did video really kill the radio star?"