Returning Newbie

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
RadarUK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Radar

Returning Newbie

Post by RadarUK »

So I have been a member on here since 2014 but had some time away from it all but now back again since moving from Nottingham to Wales.

Got back onto CB with a rig in my van and looking to expand my knowledge a lot more and move into amateur radio more seriously, nice to see I am picking up some traffic out on the airwaves though nothing like it was when I first was into CB back in it's heyday !
The all father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Returning Newbie

Post by Werthers »

RadarUK wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 14:38 So I have been a member on here since 2014 but had some time away from it all but now back again since moving from Nottingham to Wales.

Got back onto CB with a rig in my van and looking to expand my knowledge a lot more and move into amateur radio more seriously, nice to see I am picking up some traffic out on the airwaves though nothing like it was when I first was into CB back in it's heyday !
FM is mostly dead. SSB/AM is fun when the band is open. You can work the world.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

RadarUK wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 14:38 So I have been a member on here since 2014 but had some time away from it all but now back again since moving from Nottingham to Wales.

who were you in Nottingham ?? (same person as you are now i assume)

Nottingham myself been around CB and Ham radios 40 odd years..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Werthers wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 00:08
you can work the world on FM as well..
SSB is only 'up' when there's some skip,
AM pretty much the same.
FM erm, DX same again..

just starting Cycle 25 so the states will be in more often as well,
but you don't always need AM or SSB to work DX.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

bigpimp347 wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 09:13
Werthers wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 00:08
you can work the world on FM as well..
SSB is only 'up' when there's some skip,
AM pretty much the same.
FM erm, DX same again..

just starting Cycle 25 so the states will be in more often as well,
but you don't always need AM or SSB to work DX.
Nah you dont say :crazy: who wants to work FM anyway.
Merkin
Regular
Regular

Post by Merkin »

Welcome back buddy. I set up my CB bak up a few months ago and woz surprised how many was on the air.

I am on high ground Newport and hear stations in Cardiff, Newport, Somerset and the valleys all on UK FM every day. There is a net every night, I think it is chanel 24 UK FM.

Only diference now is everyone is using higher pwr and 100w is average. I got a Midland 48 but many are using modified ham stuf.

FM is not dead around here anyway and its the person you talk to that counts not the mode.
Please support The British Dyslexia Association