Hi all from another builder

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Juremm
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: S52CQ

Hi all from another builder

Post by Juremm »

Hi all,

let me write few words about me. Being in the HAM radio from my high school, firstly with CB, later as a HAM. At that time I did build/modify many devices. So every CB radio that I've got was modified to have more channels etc.

Now electronics is giving us opportunities for building even more great stuff. As such I've made FM VHF or UHF radio from DRA818 module, radio is called the Weekender - name was given because in one weekend anyone can build it.

Also I've been into simple FM walkie/talkie modules that have impressed me. These modules can be programmed from CB to VHF, UHF and PMR frequencies and work great - considering 10 mW output power of course.

Have also build mcHF by M0NKA, Chris and my recent project was uSDX by DL2MAN, Manuel, both working on a home brewed Fuchs resonant antenna. I've build QRP Fuch resonant antenna tuner and recently I've built 100W version of it with a huge roller coil, both variable capacitor and roller coil being remotely controlled from my shack 8)

Beside that I love programming AVR microcontrollers, I program them mostly in Bascom-AVR since it's much more user friendly than any C language - hope that I will not enter into "religious war" with this sentece :D

Programming AVRs has opened (at least to me) many doors to any CB or HAM project that I could think of.

That's all about me, glad to be here.

Best 73 de S52CQ, Jure
White night
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Ts01

Re: Hi all from another builder

Post by White night »

Welcome to the site you may be able to help me I've got a cobra that says it has fm but when I turn the knob it stays on am can I fix this I'm no elec special infact I hate it let me know if you can help many thanks an 73s from scotland
Juremm
Regular
Regular

Post by Juremm »

Can you tell me which model of Cobra do you have? FYI looking at schematic of Cobra148GTL it does not have FM: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm

73s de S52CQ
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

It is the 148 gtl on the face of the rig it has the knob to switch cw fm am usb lsb I did think that was the case but was told the rig had been modified for fm but I didnt think so as when I switched through am to fm the rx and rx between the cobra and my midland were perfect on am so I think the previous owner has added a knob that does nothing at all I think I'll just put it up for sale as I wanted a ssb rig with fm on it as up here alot of our farmers and logger lorries use fm thanks for getting back pleasure to chat to you I may hear you out there one day as I dont have homebase set up right now but my rig in the car is always on when I'm out and about 73s stay safe 108ts01
Juremm
Regular
Regular

Post by Juremm »

Well in this case I am afradi the mod that's been done is not working. Talk to the guy who's done that mod and let him fix it. If that's not possible you can always seel the rig and purchase another one with FM included. But I guess it's a shame to sell such a fine rig, I'd love to have one, although I've got plenty, but cobra 148gtl is a legend 8)

Stay safe!
73s de S52CQ, Jure
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Welcome to TM1 :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

I think I'm just going to sell the rig as the guy who done the mod years ago is no longer with us I was hoping to use it in my car but itll have to go an I'll just buy a new one I know the cobras are a solid rig but so is my midland that i have in the car now which I'll be on tomorrow morning from about 8 am ish snow has been absolutely mental up here an some people cannot drive in it 🤣 if your interested in buying the rig let me know and give me an offer 73s