Hello from North Essex/Hertfordshire border

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Swainy
Registered New User
Registered New User

Hello from North Essex/Hertfordshire border

Post by Swainy »

Hi all,

I’m a complete CB newbie, I recently picked up a Harvard 410T which appears to be in pretty decent condition. I live in a small village just outside of Bishops Stortford and so far I’ve not really had much luck with it in regards to picking anything up.

I’m just wondering how hard it would be to connect to a base station antenna? Also were the rubber duck antenna’s that were once available any good for this set?

Please see my quick video, I could hear someone speaking but I don’t think that he could hear me.

White night
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Ts01

Re: Hello from North Essex/Hertfordshire border

Post by White night »

Hello my friend when asking for a copy start with breaker one nine breaker one nine this is (your handle or personal name ) location/20 and ask for radio check rubber ducks are good but if you want to extend the range of your radio quickly easily and cheap get some copper wire (inside of tv coax is fine ) measure to the length of the antenna on your hand held if you can unscrew the antenna place the copper wire to the screw in end then replace antenna and just have the copper wire running straight down the side and always try to keep the antenna pointing up not side ways so you'll double the length this transmitting further and recieve more . Also remember that some people may be closer together so their squetch is turned up so they may not hear you 73 welcome to the club and the radio world I would suggest getting a good starter kit which is rig and antenna just a mag mount for home or car but at home you will need to found it on a large metal surface and put the antenna as high as possible good luck 73s(wishing you well ) from the scottish highlands
Swainy
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: Hello from North Essex/Hertfordshire border

Post by Swainy »

Nice one, appreciate the advice!