Hi people back on the air now

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
White night
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Ts01

Hi people back on the air now

Post by White night »

Hi everybody firstly I like to I've missed my rig the fun I had in the glory days driving with my folks and family all with a cb in the car going on hols and listening and chatting with them I got hooked and bought one for my house in bexley but now I live in scotland I have got a team am/fm rig and now trying out a thunderpole I'm mobile and I've so far had fantastic dx with Charlie southern ireland another few folks from Bournemouth Essex and south cornwall my youngest son loves it to it's a shame it's not as busy as it used to be with lorry drivers though some new tech does notify you of traffic it is somewhat slow I would like to know what would be a good rig to use in the van for ease of use with more dxers on 73s to all and cant wait to hear from any or all many thanks stay safe
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Hi people back on the air now

Post by MrWeetabix »

Hi and welcome to Tm1, and indeed, welcome back to radio!

There are tonnes of different radios on the market now. Are you looking to stick with a legal UK/EU type set or looking more towards DXing on the old 555? Budget is also a consideration. Let us know :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

Hi thanks for the reply I already have a team me4 and a thunderpole t800 I is to have a lincoln mk1 but sold it a long time ago wish I never now

I like local and long dx I've so far spoken to Charlie in south ireland wales essex Bournemouth and south cornwall from near inverness with both rigs as I'm only going to have it in the van when driving

I dont think a frequency rig will be good as it's kinda distracting looking at the rig for the right frequency I know they have scan mode but still a good solid rig is what im after when I was younger in the 90s to 00s

I had so many different rigs as boot sales was a great place to pick them up and I was only 20 mins away from the radio shack at thurrock back then so my pick would be my old cobra but I cant remember the full name

I have a Springer on the roof of the van at the moment I've heard the the little willie is the best but does that depend oon the rig aswell many thanks terry from the highlands 73s
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

I'm was thinking of getting a Midland 84 plus I believe it was one I had in the past aswell but any info would be great price wise I'm.open to a reasonable amount as I've got a large family dont want something to expensive just a solid rig I'm on the air tomorrow morning and Tuesdays early doors around 8 till 9 or 10 am and most days after 12 driving the kids somewhere always on channel 19 just love the static going and listening to people when it goes off it's great fun dxin round the country even my wife was shocked to get a sleep from wales on monday afternoon it's no as busy as the old days but hopefully it will change if people find out that using one in the car while driving is legal and if there mates all had one who needs a mobile no need to worry about phone service and contract to pay lol well folks I'm getting some sleep moving in a week to new house and been busy painting and making fences for the new place 73s to all ts01 terry from tain scottish highlands
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Not sure how much the 48 plus goes for these days but they were the rig to have for FM users back-in-the-day as they were one of the first 'legal' sets you could then expand beyond the EU40.

Plenty legal sets to be had now. New prices for FM/AM type sets is from about £90 and something with SSB in it around £150 with 2nd hand prices still holding well too there's not much difference between buying new or used to be honest.

some examples

AM/FM Type - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESIDENT-RO ... Sw9AZe90CW

AM/FM/SSB Type - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/President-Mc ... 0&LH_BIN=1
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

Ok thanks I have bean on ebay alot I'm currently bidding on a 48 now which ends in a couple of days I do like the idea of ssb but it's just the fact I'm driving when using the rig so having to check the frequency I'm on might be a bit distracting I have a team me4 am fm rig and I bought a thunderpole t800 bit that rig seems to have issues with the asq I have to have the volume up load so it doesnt kick in or go silent so I think I'll send that one back I have had a fee dxs from tain 35 miles north of inverness on the east cost down to essex but the team me4 beat it by around 100 miles getting down to south Cornwall so I'm leaning to older rigs maybe Its just i loved it back then and it's just a case of what i know . I did have a lincoln mk1 that was mint apart from not original mic as i used it so much back the i just broke the wires and never bought a replacement but I never touched the rig apart from new finals done in 00 then stored it but alas I forgot to take my silver rod from the house but it was kinda tricky to put up as high as it was if memory serves I think it was around 100ft to the top from the floor on the house parents weren't best pleased to start with but it was to late by then lol I just checked Google maps and my little excaliber is still bolted.to the chimney of my old house too but the siver rod has gone :( my son wants to get one for the house I've seen loft antenna are they any good many thanks 73s