DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

Post by WARLOCK »

I have just bought this discone antenna to use with my scanner,i now find the socket on the discone is one i have never seen before (when buying this antenna i assumed it would take a normal cb plug) not so ? has anyone got any thoughts as to what sort of plug you need to fit the coax cable to the discone ?the socket looks like a normal cb socket but has a solid centre not a female centre like a cb socket?
from George WARLOCK
fez
Veteran
Veteran

RE: DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

Post by fez »

Probably a N-type connection. Adaptors can be bought or a normal n-type connection can be used otherwise.
grahamwilman
Regular
Regular

Re: DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

Post by grahamwilman »

WARLOCK1946 wrote:I have just bought this discone antenna to use with my scanner,i now find the socket on the discone is one i have never seen before (when buying this antenna i assumed it would take a normal cb plug) not so ? has anyone got any thoughts as to what sort of plug you need to fit the coax cable to the discone ?the socket looks like a normal cb socket but has a solid centre not a female centre like a cb socket?
from George WARLOCK
Hi George
I recently obtained a discone antenna with the same type of connection which is the n-type connectoras Fez mentioned, you need to purchase a n-type to pl259 adaptor and you should be ok
Graham
simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: Re: DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

Post by simon26OD004 »

Best thing to do is fit an N-Type, the reason the N-Type is there is because it is the best connector to use at VHF/UHF. If you can't fit one yourself you should be able to get a made up lead from a shop. You could use an adapter but it defeats the object of having the N-Type on the aeirial in the first place, as the adapter will just incur more loss.
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP
Turbo

Re: DISCONE ANTENNA CONNECTION

Post by Turbo »

Gday George the N type connection is the best around for antennas but i do use 1 N type to PL259 adaptor on Centrefire 1/4 Groundplane Antenna 118mhz-136mhz withbelden-9913 coax cable and there is no difference on my other antennas on signals at all but i have tested it the adaptor wih RG58 coax cable and the signals are very poor due to of the loss on the coax cable and thats only on a 20 metre run.

Regards Lino.
ALINCO-DJX2000
AOR3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/IOM-R9500
JRC NRD-545
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500