Is Air Band alive not getting nothing.

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Is Air Band alive not getting nothing.

Post by Werthers »

Yep just wondering if airband was alive I'm not getting any traffic whatsoever. I know at this time there wont be many planes in the sky but I thought I would at least hear something.
Wayzgoosebob
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7ASC

Re: Is Air Band alive not getting nothing.

Post by Wayzgoosebob »

As you say, not a lot about but certainly enough to keep interests up. How up to date are your frequencies ? What scanner are you using ? lots of variables, I am lucky where I live, considerable military air traffic and some civil. More info might help ......
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

It would appear my receiver has gone deaf. Damn :(
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

GA is on its arse.. had me PPL nearly two decades n never known it sooo quiet up there.. logged just 31hrs last year n my last jaunt was to Staverton and tbh it was dead... only place up here to hear much traffic is either Mancs or East Mids(esp at night).
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I sold an air and radio and the guy said it was faulty. He called me for a chat and he said it was sitting there silent. I put his location into plane finder and there wasn't a single aircraft within 150 miles of him in any direction. There are so few flying. Our local aero club is practically shut. A bit of solo hours building but that’s about it. Norwich airport still has the helicopter traffic though.
Last edited by paulears on 01 Apr 2021, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

mines fine here, voices every few minutes.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Air traffic is usually pretty busy here with an 2 airports pretty close and I live under the corridor for transatlantic flights.

Also a popular spot here for light aircraft and paragliders. I just checked on ADS-B Exchange and there are 30 aircraft within 50 miles of me and radio traffic pretty consistent.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that if you own an Amazon Echo or other similar device with Alexa on it, (my phone will do it as well) you can ask it to tell you what aircraft are flying overhead or even what helicopters are near by.

Saves me logging into ADS-B Exchange to satisfy my curiosity when I hear something flying over - no doubt everyone already knows about this but it got me exited :lol:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

yes you have to load the skill called aircraft radar and give it permissions of your location, then say alexa ask aircraft radar what aircraft are around,.....its give your the aircraft type height call sign and registration.......its good........but it still cant get me on one to a warm country yet!!!

bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
milly
Call Sign: redacted

Post by milly »

paulears wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 07:42 I sold an air and radio and the guy said it was faulty. He called me for a chat and he said it was sitting there silent. I put his location into plane finder and there wasn't a single aircraft within 150 miles of him in any direction. There are so few flying. Our local aero club is practically shut. A bit of solo hours building but that’s about it. Norwich airport still has the helicopter traffic though.
Though around Suffolk/Norfolk you have had dozens of flights from Merkins out of Lakenheath/Mildenhall daily. Biggles farting about in his eurofarce, even those fat ugly grey things he is buying manage to fly for the odd twenty minutes before running out of parafin. Add in the cellphone vacuums operated for GCHQ, refuelling just off your coast etc and you have plenty of airband activity (though obviously much of it UHF not VHF).....yes, usual spamcan overflights aren't at their old levels (which probably highlighs just how much pollution could be cut down if unnecessary travel is eliminated but there are still a lot
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Yes - that's probably a benefit of living in the east, but sitting here on a clear day, the contrails were like a road map. I wonder if the scientists will actually see a change from the solution perspective. Somehow, I doubt it.
Broken_Antenna
Regular
Regular

Post by Broken_Antenna »

The closest Airport to me is 9.7 miles away and way back in the 90's the airband was alive all day and night. Now I hear hardly anything at all. It may be because of the pandemic but it just seems really quiet compared to back in the day.