Anyone recommend me a scanner please

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
quilter-33
Registered New User
Registered New User

Anyone recommend me a scanner please

Post by quilter-33 »

Hello all,
I am new to scanning, anyone recommend me a scanner to use to listen to North East Durham UK transmissions. I was looking at some on Ebay, but to be honest I haven't got a clue about any of it, just another hobby to pass these long Covid days and evenings. I don't want to pay more than two hundred quid. Seems Uniden have quite a few on the bay 125XLT AND BC75XLT or Whistler 1040 won't break the bank but I am not sure of the frequency ranges required therefore don't know if these or any others would be any good. Please advise. Regards Rob.
Alan Pilot

Re: Anyone recommend me a scanner please

Post by Alan Pilot »

The 125XLT is very popular i had one worked well but i don't like a hand held as a base.
I have several base scanners but if that was what you wanted then the BCT15X (£150 ish second hand) is affordable and a good scanner in my opinion.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

what for ??
there's no police or emergency services,

so airband, the odd shop watch or some security
if you get a digital scanner (DMR type) then maybe a bit more high end commercial stuff..

of just get a cheap scanner, and get a discriminator tap fitted and use DSD+ on a PC or laptop.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

my scanner has had a discriminator tap fitted ( uniden UBC785XLT ) how do i go about useing DSD+ first i have to join the scanner up to the computer , what cable will i need ? what software will i need ? any helpful advice will be gladly received , THANKS in advance ,
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

Cable: assuming you have a standard 3.5mm audio discriminator tap fitted, in which case a standard 3.5mm stereo cable will be best (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gritin-Braided ... ooghydr-21

Be sure to plug into the line-in audio port of you computer.

Software: DSD+ https://www.dsdplus.com/
quilter-33
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by quilter-33 »

Can anyone recommend me a scanner for use as a hand held unit to get all the nearby stations including the police and emergency services in East Durham please. I have not a clue what people are suggesting, discriminator cap and such are all well above me.
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by normal »

As BP said, it is not possible to listen to police radio, almost all UK emergency service radio is encrypted, it is not possible to listen.

Fire brigades have some on-scene FM walkie talkies because they are rated to not ignite explosive gases but the range is a few hundred feet when used in a place that is surrounded by other buildings, they may not be used for days and messages are typically "nothing is on fire here, everyone get back in the truck."

For a scanner, a rooftop antenna usually picks up much more than a small antenna attached to the scanner indoors.

125XLT AND BC75XL are analog only

I would not pay much for an analog-only radio scanner. There just isn't much interesting analog VHF/UHF two way radio left.

If you want an analog AM FM scanner then perhaps wait for a Realistic pro-26 to appear on ebay for £40, then you can sell it again for the same price after a month.