Is it really this quiet ?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Hill_Top_Mike
Registered New User
Registered New User

Is it really this quiet ?

Post by Hill_Top_Mike »

Hi All
I've just rescued my old scanner from the loft, it has been up there for a lot of years, I was given a new and unused Ariel, not sure if the legs are fitted in the right place and not sure if it is a scanner Ariel, anyway when I switch the scanner on it receives nothing at all, I am quite high up and expected to hear something, just looking for suggestions really of what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks guys
P.S. I didn't want to fix the ariel to the roof just in case it is not a scanner ariel.
20201115_145654[4869].jpg
20201115_145318[4871].jpg
ljhlkjhlkjhkj.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buick Mackane

Re: Is it really this quite ?

Post by Buick Mackane »

Alright mike.

Not half as much scanner action as there used to be, Lot of services have gone digital. But you should be hearing some signals, Taxi's ,aircraft, CB,etc. But really depends on your location, I'd be investigating that antenna/coax for shorts etc,

BTW It is a scanner aerial, Called a discone and it looks to be assembled correctly
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

As above.
And it's a good aerial i think i use the same exact one.
Stick with it you will find something.
edit yes you have the parts in the correct place.
Hill_Top_Mike
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Hill_Top_Mike »

Thank you very much gents, I have resoldered the coax plugs, and I have heard a couple of truck drivers chatting, so could have been the coax, thanks again guys, I'll keep testing.
Mike
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Almost all analogue utilities and 999 services are digital now. The 450-452 MHz band is now almost deserted and all that PMR activity around the 165 MHz area is digital too. You should hear their signals squawking away though. The 144 MHz Amateur band is very quiet now, apart from a few internet linked repeaters and DMR at the top end. I can receive digital stuff like DMR utilites etc but I find it's often really hard to tell what they're saying. We're ferkin' doomed.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Is it really this quiet ?

Post by Werthers »

There really isn't much left to listen too.

There is shortwave, plenty of signals there and sometimes there are interesting things to be heard around 40 plus MHz and there is Air Band, plenty to be heard on that. The 2 meter band is often active but other than that everything else either dosn't get used anymore or has moved to Digital.

Analog scanners are pretty much obsolete if they don't do certain bands like HF or Air Band.

There should be plenty of noise to decode from the audio feed from your scanner to your computer.
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman »

You'll likely not get too much on 27Mhz.Try scanning airband 118 -138 mhz AM.You seem to be in a good position for good reception and your discone antenna looks ok.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

He's not logged in for a month and probably wont again
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?