Pager activity in Scotland ?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Pager activity in Scotland ?

Post by gmham »

Anyway to narrow down a search for pager activity only relating to users from Scotland ? Reason I ask is using PDW to decode pagers via sdr# on my sdr rsp1 rx. Everything coming in seems to relate to incidents hundreds of miles from me, poss to receive local activity only ? Thanks guys. John
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
milly
Call Sign: redacted

Re: Pager activity in Scotland ?

Post by milly »

Pager transmissions are by their nature not regionalised. However, PDW allows you to build filters that will restrict what is displayed, label individual RICs etc.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay cheers appreciate that. So eventually monitored long enough local related pager transmissions may come thru yep ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
milly
Call Sign: redacted

Post by milly »

Use the log browser to search for things like Scottish telephone area codes, place names etc. Make a note of the RICs, maybe add them into the filter file with a short note such as "noted with Aberdeen area code" (or whatever would help make them stand out in the short term. Use colours to differentiate the labels...blue for plod-related, red for trumptones etc. Anything that will help you work out what is what.
For RICs which are obviously of no interest you can set the filter to 'reject' and they won't show on screen any more.
You'll start to build a picture of what is of interest/local and can keep refining the filters to suit your requirement.

Supposing you have a whole bunch of Scottish Ambo RICs - you can fine tune the labels you give them as you work out the rough geographical area/town specific codes are used in...or if they are Trust Primary staff. Create a log file for those called "sas,.txt" and you can have the messages to those RICs automatically saved in that file rather than the general log....similar files for the other things of interest.

Bear in mind that many messages won't have anything in them that will allow quick identification, many will be numeric messages only. There are many other options within the filter system - it's very powerful. To build a good filter set with rules that do things the way you want will take time and effort.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Ok thanks again to be honest I don’t think it’s going to be a side of the scanning hobby that will hold my interest for too long, as you say a lot is not really that exciting to read not that it should be especially the medical related stuff !
Thanks again for your advice thou.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——