Getting back into scanning and wonder if SDS100E is good UK listening ?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
sas29uk
Regular
Regular

Getting back into scanning and wonder if SDS100E is good UK listening ?

Post by sas29uk »

Thinking of getting back into scanning and have been looking at the SDS100E with DMR & NXND, i was just curious if its worth it for listening to uk radios ? I am based in lancashire but near liverpool so i am hopeing there is lots to listen to ?

Can anyone recommend a scanner if this is not so good ? Tried SDR but wish to be mobile so other than taking a 2K laptop out with me its not really an option so need a handheld unit.

Thanks.
Alan Pilot
Call Sign: MW7TTA

Re: Getting back into scanning and wonder if SDS100E is good UK listening ?

Post by Alan Pilot »

I have just got the sds200e same thing but base version saying that with a mobile aerial you could use it in the car as they are a lot smaller than they used to be.
Still getting my head round the programming but bought from radioworld came with a lot of good stuff pre-programmed in it.
Good bit of kit in my opinion listens well i think and you get what you pay for i think.
There is a Facebook forum "uniden sds100/200uk" i think it's called with some good info.
sas29uk
Regular
Regular

Post by sas29uk »

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info i will be sure to check it out and seriously interested in the scanner but just wanted to check that it was worth it for picking up stuff in the uk as i heard its mainly aimed at the american market.
Alan Pilot
Call Sign: MW7TTA

Post by Alan Pilot »

All the us is in it sort of.
It is so easy to program for them as it has the us and canada database so they just tell it where they are and it loads everything in.
Not so easy for us in the uk but my old brain is slowly taking it all in problem i have is my old brain KEEPING it in lol.
I also have the whistler trx-2 that was easier to get my head round and works well but i do prefer the SDS200E and i will get there with it soon.
Got them both running together on the same discone and don't see any loss but the echo when they both land on the same frequency is funny.