Help Needed

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
The Pea Launcher
Regular
Regular

Help Needed

Post by The Pea Launcher »

Can anyone spare me 5 mins and maybe help me with something. Ive got well behind on the scanning front and i fancy listening to some of the digitial communications locally, shop watch, security etc etc. Can anyone recommend me a radio that i would be able to recieve this on that is quite easy to programme, or even finds the information i need itself? Any help would be much appreciated, Im starting from scratch here as i dont understand any of it, code plugs and colour codes etc. Any recommendations would be a help. Cheers J
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Help Needed

Post by 26mb04 »

I would be willing to bet that there will be digital-capable scanners soon, if they don't already exist. (I don't know as I'm not really a scanner user.) You can also use a DMR radio with promiscuous mode (think CTCSS scan, only for DMR talkgroups), or use an SDR dongle. Most PMR digital radios will not have promiscuous mode, so you'll need to make sure it's mentioned in the spec if you decide to buy one. An SDR will give you the advantage of being much more versatile, but you'll need to do your research into the software side too. It can be quite complex, but then an SDR will receive and decode anything you tell it to, assuming you (or your software) know how.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
moj

Re: Help Needed

Post by moj »

i'd stick with the anytone radio or even the cheaper md380 Jamie , you will enjoy how clear the audio is when out and about aswell mate ;)