Digital Encryption Codes

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Digital Encryption Codes

Post by timberwolf »

We're all concerned about posting frequencies, colour-codes & time-slots on this website for fear of the business DMR radio user, finding out and encrypting their transmission. But we still see security staff with their 888's clipped to their vests. Imagine if they were given inexpensive DMRs but were encrypted via software! Would this be the end to scanning as we know it??? Okay, I'll get to the point : my cheap 'n' cheerful Baofeng 1810 DMR has only three possible basic 'privacy' (encryption) codes :
1. 53474C39
2. 53400000
3. 12345FF
I wonder if any other user of a different DMR radio would like to share her or his privacy codes. Will they match mine? Will all Far Eastern DMR radios have the same three privacy codes (and use the same mode of encryption?)
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Digital Encryption Codes

Post by thelad »

They is no issue with posting Time slots and colour codes as these are no different to an analogue tones and they are only 2 slots to guess from. The problem starts with posting talkgroups and the idea not posting them is so idiots do not Tx over them. The main issue at the moment is idiots live streaming it over Facebook. The security staff have no clue what they have clipped to their vest and just use what's provided. Some basic encryption codes on brands match up but not many and most differ by Brand and model, you could in theory find them out. Enhanced would prevent that however.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

thats the thing a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
love your familly
moj

Post by moj »

As thelad say's it's our own fault when system's start to encrypt and now to add to the mix their getting smarter and enabling ras on them aswell or hytera ota !

Soon it's going to get to the time when we won't be able to hear hardly any transmission's and all the idiot's who thought that they were smart sharing all the details public and streaming their local shopwatch and acting like it's fine and all legal and nothing can be done will be the one's to blame !

So get used to encrypted audio cause it will be the normal standard in a couple of years ;)
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Post by timberwolf »

Definitely agree. But you've misread my post! I'm not interested in the talk groups Nor the cc's. I wouldn't want anyone to post these on any forum. Not even the time slots! It's the digital encryption codes that are set in the 'cheap' Dmr handsets. My BF-1801 has three preset 'privacy' codes : each one is an eight-character hexadecimal figure. Now that equates to 4 billion 294 million, 967 thousand and 295 possible permutations available! And my 1801 has three! I was only wondering if any different DMRs had the same (or different) three privacy codes (preset and non changeable)
moj

Post by moj »

there's to many radios and encryption algo's and this is the problem , obviously only the baofeng has 3 but for other radios the list can be endless and is not default !!

then there is other chinese radios like the anytones that again has a complete different encryption standard which doesn't work with other brands so again unless enhanced is setup so they can communicate to each other .
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Post by timberwolf »

Thanks Moj. Maybe I'm just clutching at straws. Amusingly, from what I remember from Maths at school, FFFFFFFF in hex is the same as 11111111111111111111111111111111 in binary! 32 binary digits! So that's where the "32 bit" comes from! The 1801 apparently has the option for 64 bit encryption but, on my radio, that certainly hasn't been enabled by any firmware update!
moj

Post by moj »

i've tested most of these theory's and they didn't work for me between radios unless enhanced usually but yeah i get your understanding with the hexidecimal , its a shame when it finally does all fall into place we will feel like scanning has gone back to the stoneage of only hearing analogue days again :p
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Post by timberwolf »

Disclaimer : this will not help any nasty radio user trying to listen to encrypted comms (unless they're willing to manually enter increments from 0000001 to FFFFFFFF every time they hear the encrypted transmission!!). Most will probably know this already but I've jusy found out that the Baofeng 1801 can be programmed with any encryption key you can think off (and not just the three pre-programmed keys I mentioned above!). Just run the software, plug-in & switch-on the radio as usual then...

Hold down five keys on your computer keyboard :
Ctrl Fn Alt Shift 11

A dialogue box appears and type in :
DMR1801
Then press 'enter'

This puts you into the advanced programming mode where you can click on 'Privacy' then select 'Basic' from the drop down menu and, voila, you can change or add to the three preset encryption keys.

Ok, whichever radio you're communicating with has to use the same compatible encryption standard as the Baofeng but it does make this radio a cheap and cheerful alternative to the encrypted DMR mainstream radios.

There is no scan function attached to encryption so when, for example, two 1801's have had their encryption keys changed from the pre-set three, there's precious little any listener can do to intercept any comms.

And anyway, all they'd hear is me moaning about the time it takes for the gold bullion to be carried out of the bank vault and into the security van! Just kidding in case anyone takes that last comment seriously!
moj

Post by moj »

I'm not a fan of those baofeng radios but im guessing they will be able to communicate with an anytone radio set aswell then with that mod ;)
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Post by timberwolf »

Prob not, Moj. I reckon the algorithm for the Baofeng's AES will be peculiar to Baofeng but if I'm wrong, it does improve the versatility of this cheap & cheerful DMR.
moj

Post by moj »

;) i'm guessing there will be a one for all the chinese solution that will come out mate , watch this space :)
Torax
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 01110

Post by Torax »

the joke is just it doesn't work (I tested it for fun)

So the encryption does not work with firmware 2.0.9 or 2.1.9 or 2.5.5

if you don't want to believe it, you can test it yourself
Aakriti
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Aakriti »

thelad wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 21:30 They is no issue with posting Time slots and colour codes as these are no different to an analogue tones and they are only 2 slots to guess from. The problem starts with posting talkgroups and the idea not posting them is so idiots do not Tx over them. The main issue at the moment is idiots live streaming it over Facebook. The security staff have no clue what they have clipped to their vest and just use what's provided. Some basic encryption codes on brands match up but not many and most differ by Brand and model, you could in theory find them out. Enhanced would prevent that however.
Hello friend
Sharing time slots and color codes might not be a big deal, but talkgroups need discretion to prevent disruption. Social media livestreaming causes security issues, hence stronger encryption is required as a fix.
Aakriti
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Aakriti »

moj wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 09:17 i've tested most of these theory's and they didn't work for me between radios unless enhanced usually but yeah i get your understanding with the hexidecimal , its a shame when it finally does all fall into place we will feel like scanning has gone back to the stoneage of only hearing analogue days again :p
Hello friend
When new encryption methods fail in wireless communication, it is frustrating. Security is provided by improvement in digital systems, yet love for the simplicity of the analog era survives.GB whatsapp Apk