Whistler TRX1 vs TRX2

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Goffy
Regular
Regular

Whistler TRX1 vs TRX2

Post by Goffy »

Just wondering if either has any advantages over the other? Apart from portability of course.

There is a price difference. I'm contmplating purchasing my first digital scanner and so far my research suggests the Whistlers ar the most well liked in the UK anyway. USA users seem to prefer Uniden. I ruled AOR out very early on.
trainspotter375
Regular
Regular

Re: Whistler TRX1 vs TRX2

Post by trainspotter375 »

I have the TRX-2 and cant fault it mate.
Obviously portability is the main difference but you need to get your head around the programming which is a breeze when using the computer software connected to the whistler. i leave my trx-2 searching/scanning at home and connect remotely using the trx android software which lets me connect my phone to the scanner, you can search, scan and playback (if you want to record hits) it works for me and very happy with my purchase
Massum
Regular
Regular

Post by Massum »

I have the TRX1 and find it easy to use and is portable. The same as TRX2 the software is good and free and quick to master, Stuart from airshow world has numerous u tube videos to watch on use. Last of all you have access to NXDN and other services that are chargeable with other suppliers of digital radios.
Whistler TRX1. UBC360CLT. BCD396T. Icom R5. Yaesu FTA-310. TTI TSC 100R
Goffy
Regular
Regular

Post by Goffy »

Thanks for the replies guys. Is the Whistler software only Windows compatible? I run linux on my home pc (and niche software like this is never available on linux) but can rig up my old Windows 7 machine for this if its compatible with 7. Its about the only use i would have for a Windows pc these days.

One other question. How is the analogue performance? Still a lot to listen to on analogue round here.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I don't think the analogue performance is all that good. Especially on airband. My old uniden USC230-E worked a lot better on analogue stuff.

Nevertheless I now use the Whistler 99% of the time because the analogue FM is "good enough" and it can do digital.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Goffy
Regular
Regular

Post by Goffy »

I think you might be right about the analogue. My Uniden 125 seemed to pick up more on the same antenna. But like you i rarely put the uniden on now for the exact same reasons. But I've got some spare coax so I'm thinking of putting up a marine band dipole (cheapest option) and run the uniden off that. I'll keep the whistler on my "good" antenna.