marine band what steps ect

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

marine band what steps ect

Post by WARLOCK »

what frequencies/mode/steps should I be using on the marine band to search ,Thank you in advance for any help given .
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: marine band what steps ect

Post by grafter »

25kHz but the channel line is offset because they were originally spaced 50k apart, in addition some channels are duplex so you will hear only one side. Best thing to do is look for a complete channel line up, try this http://www.coastalradio.org.uk/freqlist ... ebases.pdf

Although it's not listed channel 0 is 156.0, the duplex of that is 160.6 and sometimes used simplex by Coastguard for local comms, referred to as 99 or 00.

If you have two narrow modes of FM like 5.5 and 12kHz width you may find the narrower is OK for most traffic but some coastguard base stations will distort so try both.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

WARLOCK wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 15:20 what frequencies/mode/steps should I be using on the marine band to search ,Thank you in advance for any help given .
Your memory must be as bad as mine as you have asked this on a number of occasions :D

I have a bad memory as well, due to diabetes I think (and middle age!), and a few years back I bought an Arch lever folder, and a pack of Poly pockets and as soon as I found something like this out, I would print out the information and file it away in the folder for future reference for when I forget again.

It's up to you obviously, but you may find it easier than asking the same thing on here repeatedly :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Soong
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Sentinel

Post by Soong »

grafter wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 16:39 Although it's not listed channel 0 is 156.0, the duplex of that is 160.6 and sometimes used simplex by Coastguard for local comms, referred to as 99 or 00.
Is there a squelch setting for 156.000? I almost always have a carrier, or something, creating a background when nothing is being transmitted locally.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Soong wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 08:50
grafter wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 16:39 Although it's not listed channel 0 is 156.0, the duplex of that is 160.6 and sometimes used simplex by Coastguard for local comms, referred to as 99 or 00.
Is there a squelch setting for 156.000? I almost always have a carrier, or something, creating a background when nothing is being transmitted locally.
Yes, I have a constant 'carrier' on 156.000 as well, and it has been around for few years now. I have to turn the squelch up so high that I am in danger of missing weak transmissions on other channels.

It is a bit of a nuisance!

The solution for me was to use a separate radio, with the squelch wound up, just to monitor 156.000 Mhz. There was a lot of information online at one time about this problem, being caused by a certain model of SKY wifi router, and there is a video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemjjPG ... e=youtu.be

Obviously this may not be what is causing your problem, but it is worth investigating..
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Soong wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 08:50
156.000 is all too often affected by carriers from other electronics, routers, TVs, microwave ovens etc. Anything with a processor inside is a potential source these days. The radio itself can be the cause too, my Baofeng bf‑f8hp generates its own which renders it useless for listening to 0, however the GT3 is clean as as whistle.

One way to clean up CH0 if you're listening at home is to use an SDR, even a cheapie RTL and use it in conjunction with software that allows notch filters to be added. I successfully installed such a system for a friend and was able to remove four seperate carriers, one of which was fully quieting. Each notch was only a few Hz wide so it didn't disrupt the recovered speech audio and they can be dragged should the interference drift up and down.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Soong
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Sentinel

Post by Soong »

Thanks both, some interesting stuff to research there
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I've never heard any duplex use of ch 0? You also get nasty data bursts on the two AIS channels either side of 162.0MHz which stop searches in busy areas. Land based ch 0 monitoring is a real pain. If you have it in your radio when you drive around, you heart it rise at almost every house and internet equipped building.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Yes, I have a constant 'carrier' on 156.000 as well, and it has been around for few years now. I have to turn the squelch up so high that I am in danger of missing weak transmissions on other channels.

It is a bit of a nuisance!

The solution for me was to use a separate radio, with the squelch wound up, just to monitor 156.000 Mhz. There was a lot of information online at one time about this problem, being caused by a certain model of SKY wifi router, and there is a video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemjjPG ... e=youtu.be

Obviously this may not be what is causing your problem, but it is worth investigating..
I never knew that, I use two of these routers, although one is just used as a 4 port switch.
I will investigate, I bet its from the internal PSU :eh: :eh:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ