AOR DV1

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: AOR DV1

Post by stratocaster »

Ace!! As I mentioned in a previous unrelated thread, you're going to have a lot of fun with it! At present, I seem to be getting the hang of programming the memory banks etc and Alpha tagging or naming the channels. Sadly, not much space for fully naming the channels, so I have to abbreviate part of the info on the screen. For instance, I cannot fully input 121.200's name tag as "Edinburgh Approach" so I have to compromise and input as "EDI Approach" I may also change the IF frequency step from 8kHz to a slightly lower one. (8kHz being the default for AM).
Still working on it bit by bit, I'll be getting onto the digital modes soon! :D
You can never have enough radios!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

What a cute little beasty it is. I'd say AOR have raised their game on the fit & finish front, it looks and feels solid and nicely screwed together.
Initial observations are that it overloads on MW and HF unless I put a bit of outboard attenuation in, but once the overload stops it's quite a decent receiver. I can hear everything I can hear on my SDRPlay receiver.
The default noise squelch has a habit of jittering unless I set it quite tight, so I've changed it to a 'level squelch' and it's much better behaved.
Pity the display brightness has only two settings: Blinding or dim!
OK about the limitations on tagging. I'm used to that, having owned two previous AOR receivers. 'Stockport town centre CCTV' has to be boiled down to 'stkpt ctr TV' etc. No great shakes.
The keyboard beep is a bit loud, even on level 1.
Keyboard colours are a bit odd!
And what the hell is VFO Z all about?
I think you can label the banks as well as each memory? I've just been reading that bit and it's as clear as mud so far!
Oh, and I updated the firmware to 1702. All went smoothly.
Digital decoding seems about the same as my ARD300 decoder, but then it probably uses exactly the same chips and software.
So far I'm a pretty happy chappy! :mrgreen:
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Well, after a week and a bit of my new toy, I can say I am really getting to grips with it. I've managed to programme the system to get airband etc, have got it scanning 2 banks with no problem. Have to say, there are wee minor tutorials on youtube and they are helpful. I think I will see the full potential of this unit if I get an outside multiband antenna. At the moment with the telescopic antenna, digital modes do get picked up but sound like a drunk dalek. I definitely think a huge difference will be made with an outside antenna. However, on the whole, I am very pleased indeed!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I've used a few radios that can decode DMR and they all sound the same. Slightly indistinct speech and a bit of a Liverpudlian accent to everyone! Same goes for NXDN. I find D-Star clearer and more pleasant to listen to.
I've discovered that entering freq's & tags into memories follows exactly the same process as my previous AOR receivers, it's just that the manual is poorly written. So far I've got all my analogue outside broadcast links, directors & talkback freqs entered into bank 1.
The more I use it, the more I like it.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Andy wrote:I find D-Star clearer and more pleasant to listen to.
I'm not going to start a debate or an argument about this Andy, just that everyone's
ears and hearing must be different as I find D-Star horrible to listen to, maybe my equipment isn't as good as yours, and maybe my ears resonate at different frequencies, but D-Star for me is shocking, it sounds like the Clangers on acid to me.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

That's very interesting, Admiral. I find that DMR sounds very clunky and some channels have very poor readability, whereas D-Star sounds like it has higher resolution and is easier to understand. P'raps it's our earholes.
Problem is that D-Star is an amateur standard and you never hear anything exciting on it! Analogue remains the best so far....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Have found the speech quality on DMR to sometimes be poor, especially on commercial PMR systems.. The problem seems not to be the equipment but the fact that the majority of the users - English is not their first language !! Some large shopping malls have real problems with their security, having to sometimes repeat simple messages up to six times !!

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Indeed Mike. I also find that some users let their voices drop or speak away from the mic, and this causes the DMR system to produce nonsense, slurring sounds. As soon as they speak up, it becomes right again.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Probably most of the difference in audio quality between DMR and D-STAR that you hear is due to microphone placement. The majority of business radio users have no clue that they're actually meant to speak into the microphone of the radio from a couple of inches away. Most of them seem to either speak right into it like they're trying to make out with it, or they hold down the PTT when the radio is still on their belt and expect the microphone to pick up their voice properly. DMR when used properly sounds very good to me. Theoretically it should be better than D-STAR because it uses a newer version of the vocoder.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I'm pretty sure it was Dstar that sounded like a drunk dalek more than dmr. But I will make a full judgement once I have heard all modes!
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Andy, How are you getting on with your DV1? How's things so far? I've managed to start to fully understand it! enjoying listening to it etc.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Hi Strat. Enjoying it very much. I've got stuff in memories now. I wish AOR would do something about the 'thin' audio in analogue modes. If I'm in AUTO, analogue FM sounds about right, but when I select FM the audio takes on a very narrow, toppy sound. Other than that, I'm delighted!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Ace! I've noticed that too! It may well be "fixed" with another firmware update? Only guessing! I've not had much time recently to listen in, although it is picking up the digital modes,albeit for a split second, unless my location has a part to play not to mention the antenna! I have heard the Edinburgh cctv testing out dmr recently, but at present they seem to be sticking to analogue for the time being. For the time being, I'll relax, listen to the DV1 when I get a chance and build up funds for a JRC NRD series as well as a Comm cr1a or CTX-10 and a CW decoder. ( Don't let Mrs P read this lol! :D :lol: )
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

LATEST! The supplied switch-mode PSU went funny the other morning. I switched everything on as usual and noticed that the squelch on my 4m rig was open and the s-meter was reading about s8. Nothing I did made any difference until I switched off the DV1, when the noise dropped to s5. Unplugging the PSU stopped it.
A spare 12v/1A PSU 'off the pile' was pressed into service and all is now sweetness & light. The AOR one was a right big ugly sod anyway....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Thanks for the heads up Andy, I'll be sure to observe readings on my set. Pity I can't find a linear psu for the set! Switch modes are hellish! By the way Andy, is that Collins,Banks and Rutherford in your avatar?