Tetra. Is anyone else using it?

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
TRON

Re: Tetra. Is anyone else using it?

Post by TRON »

unclebuck wrote:I have a friend who has been into tetra for many years.

I like the radios, What they can do and they do have their purposes however the EMF side of it puts me off, Even the public sector causes interference everywhere.

I'm looking at a pair of them now right in front of me, DMO they don't have a great use for me in my current QTH.

If I had a close friend who lived near they would be an excellent solution for completely private communications.

Yes it would be easy to throw up an antenna and run a base station but my conscience could not handle the amount of EMF I would cause.

Yes VOIP they have their uses but I'd rather play with analogue UHF with heavy encryption! :roll:
EMF side puts you off? Tetra is a radio standard, the keyword being "radio". So yes, it emits an "ElectroMagnetic Field". Whats wrong with that?

Public sector causes interference? How do you mean? Do you have a case close to you where Tetra is causing interference?

You have a pair of them, but they're not much use? What did you want from them?

I have friends all over the UK who IP link their radios (TRBO and Tetra).. They don't need to be close by.

You'd rather use encrypted analogue? You already own a pair of radios that cannot be listened to by your standard Joe Bloggs with a Tandy scanner.. Why spend more money on analogue?
TRON

Post by TRON »

MikeSE9 wrote:just a quick one how do you use a
Cleartone CM9000 Repeaters

on 70cms within Licence Conditions
It depends on your Amateur radio licence level. Foundation and intermediate holders would have to be "On the premises" or they would be breaking the "unattended operation" rules.

Full licence holders are ok as far as I can see, provided they have the means to switch the device off by remote control (DTMF via phone patch etc).
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

So you have an NOV on your licence to run a repeater the same as all the other repeater keepers
TRON

Post by TRON »

Who said I use the repeater function of any Tetra radio?

Troll detected.
TRON

Post by TRON »

MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

Hi, thank you for your reply.
The reason I ask was in the 70s, 80s and 90s two or three of my friends, all with amateur licences, wrote to the DTI as it was then, explaining what experiment they would like to do and on which band , the DTI the wrote back with.
You don't need our permission it is cover by your licence
Yes you can, this is the frequency and power you can use and you need to reapply on the is date.
Or just NO.
That's how GB3NA started, unattended Packet and Packet mail boxes came about.

But once again thank you for your reply
TRON

Post by TRON »

No no no.. Thank YOU for YOUR reply.

Now point everyone to where it was suggested, that I use the repeater function of any radio.

I've had a look through your posts, and you seem to enjoy drawing people into a conversation about what they are doing, then, when they slip up, you start dumping verse and chapter subsection 3 clause 4b on their lap.

Is there something in specific you think Tetra users are doing wrong?
nokiaman2002
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E1GXT

Post by nokiaman2002 »

I think a certain somebody loves his old faithful equipment (picture attached).
The amateur radio licence allows for experimentation, as that is how new technologies come about.
Is anybody using it? Yes good Sir, I am using TETRA.
CM9000 DMO REPEATER / DMO GATEWAY
MOTOROLA MTH800 X 3
MOTOROLA MTP850 X 1
SEPURA SRH3500W SGPS X 1
SEPURA SRH3900 X 1
SIMOCO SRM1000 TZ BAND X 1

So you are not alone!

I have been using internet linked tetra equipment for nearly 2 years now, and would not turn back. I also have access to various trunked networks which I can use.

If people would "experiment" more, then this thread would not be so filled up with irrelevant comments!

Good luck in your search for more TETRA users that are Radio Amateurs, although your quest may be daunting!
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

I will be using Tetra Airwave soon... My employers have been informed all Sessional Supervisors and above will be provided with Tetra handsets...

Cant say im over happy about it... more tax payers money being wasted as we dont need em.
nokiaman2002
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E1GXT

Post by nokiaman2002 »

LeakyFeeder wrote:I will be using Tetra Airwave soon... My employers have been informed all Sessional Supervisors and above will be provided with Tetra handsets...

Cant say im over happy about it... more tax payers money being wasted as we dont need em.
What job do you have?
Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit »

This is the posting where we could assume that someone's playing with repeaters - :D
TRON wrote:
MikeSE9 wrote:just a quick one how do you use a
Cleartone CM9000 Repeaters

on 70cms within Licence Conditions
It depends on your Amateur radio licence level. Foundation and intermediate holders would have to be "On the premises" or they would be breaking the "unattended operation" rules.

Full licence holders are ok as far as I can see, provided they have the means to switch the device off by remote control (DTMF via phone patch etc).
All a bit confusing, seeing as several people have mentioned Cleartone CM9000 Repeaters, including in the pic from mr_h4ck3rm4n

and Tron also said :
TRON wrote: I currently get about 4 miles coverage from my handhelds to base in MS to MS calls.
I get about 30 miles range from mobile to base in MS to MS calls.
This implies around 34 miles with handheld through mobile RPT to base.
- which sort of implied, if not exactly... it could give the impression :D
TRON

Post by TRON »

You are jumping to conclusions.
A Cleartone CM9000 is NOT a repeater. It is a bog standard mobile radio. It happens to have the OPTION of having DMO repeat, DMO Gateway and various other things enabled as a software option from the manufacturer.
The variant I use (as does Hackerman) has DMO repeat enabled. This is the fashionable way of saying "mine is NOT an Ex Dolphin network terminal", as the Dolphin variants did not have DMO repeat or Gateway capability.

I also have a Yaesu 857, and quite enjoy the odd contact on HF. The radio is capable of 100w on HF. Does that mean that I USE 100w? No.

My Volvo V70 T5 will do over 150Mph.

My kitchen knives will easily pierce human flesh.

Spotting the trend?
TRON

Post by TRON »

Yet again, the title of the thread is:

Tetra. Is anyone else using it?

It is not "please discuss specific terminals with a view to making yourself look small due to your blatant lack of knowledge on the subject".

Nor is it "Please troll the hell out of anyone who isn't using Pye westminsters on 2 metres".

Last attempt before I lose interest in the idea...... {bnghd}
Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit »

With all due respect you did ask how anyone could get the impression you were running a repeater!

I'm not trolling, and I don't mind looking small because I readily admit not knowing much about it, and forums are for learning from.

So I'm puzzled - you say "DMO repeat enabled" yet deny using it as a repeater? Me no comprende - pse explain!
TRON

Post by TRON »

TRON wrote: Now point everyone to where it was suggested, that I use the repeater function of any radio.
TRON wrote:Who said I use the repeater function of any Tetra radio?

Troll detected.
I did not ask about "running a repeater". The above is what I asked.

Do you use Tetra?