What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Duncan

What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Post by Duncan »

Is the calling channel for contacting others, 8 08

Cheers :D
Advanced Member

TTI-TCB 880 GRE-PSR 282 PMR446

Give me a shout on 19: "The Flying Scotsman!" Inverness, Scotland

Youtube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2gIP03-OQ
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Post by MrWeetabix »

I believe its ch8...in the clear, no CTCSS. Best of luck :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
knight

Post by knight »

All Channels can be used as they is no calling channel.
knight
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

knight wrote:All Channels can be used as they is no calling channel.
knight
Knight
There is an agreed calling channel amongs hobbyist users, as opposed to buisness and family users.

we use ch 8, the only debate is whether we should use no ctcss, or the common 08 tone as suggested in the past by delboy and others.

There are a few threads already going into this.
knight

Post by knight »

The bussiness side of PMR or family PMRs do not have a calling channel. A bussiness would not need to use a calling channel as they would call up on the channel there are using. PMR was made to use by anyone to talk to there family and friends. Bussiness PMR would not need a calling channel as they would use any channel they like. Also the CTSS tones are used to stop people from being able to hear you. There is no calling channel as I can talk on any channel I like. Channel 1 to channel 8 are all talking channels for PMR.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

I like the idea of calling on channel 8 with a CTCSS tone of 08, but listening with no CTCSS filtering.

This way, everyone who wants to, can hear you. Anybody who doesn't want to, can filter you out and you get to hear any replies to your calls, regardless of CTCSS being used or not.

Unfortunately, not all PMR446 radios can do this ... easily.
knight

Post by knight »

PMR has no calling channel as it is used to talk to people you know like family or friends. If you want to talk to people then you can buy a CB or just become a ham user with a licence. I will soon be able to talk on ham from next week. PMR has no calling channel as they were made as low power units for about half a mile in towns to about 2 to 3 miles in open space. CB and ham radios go right round the world if the weather is right.

Knight.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

knight,

That's the third time in this pretty short thread you've pointed out there is no calling channel on PMR446.

We hear you. You can stop repeating yourself.

Just as there is no rule saying there IS a calling channel, there is no rule saying there ISN'T a calling channel. People can use the PMR446 channels however they like. If people want to call and listen for random contacts on channel 8 (with or without CTCSS/DCS) that's up to them.

The only rule we should all live by is: As long as people aren't being abusive, we should just let other PMR446 users get on with what they are doing. If they want to be left alone, fine. If they are calling CQ, fine. We all know not to force yourself into a 'private' communication. We all know it would be rude.
knight

Post by knight »

Well if anyone would like to try to get people to talk to them on them then sit on channel 8 and no one will answer. PMR is for people to speak to family and friends. Anyway if you or anyone would like to waste time trying to call cq on a 446 then no one will answer it. PMR is not CB or Ham. You will only get out by half a mile in town and about 1 to 2 miles without buildings.

There is no calling channel so If I want to use channel 8 I can with any CTSS or DCS code.
knight.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

knight wrote:Well if anyone would like to try to get people to talk to them on them then sit on channel 8 and no one will answer. PMR is for people to speak to family and friends. Anyway if you or anyone would like to waste time trying to call cq on a 446 then no one will answer it. PMR is not CB or Ham. You will only get out by half a mile in town and about 1 to 2 miles without buildings.

There is no calling channel so If I want to use channel 8 I can with any CTSS or DCS code.
knight.
Ive managed 40-50 miles on legal 446 and 70 miles with a small beam and 4w.
knight wrote:There is no calling channel as I can talk on any channel I like. Channel 1 to channel 8 are all talking channels for PMR.
Is it not the case knight that the Amatuer radio bandplan is a gentlemens agreement, So I could if I felt like it talk on the proposed 2m calling channel (145.500 fm) if I wanted to.

As with CB there is no set calling channel now.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

knight wrote:Well if anyone would like to try to get people to talk to them on them then sit on channel 8 and no one will answer. PMR is for people to speak to family and friends. Anyway if you or anyone would like to waste time trying to call cq on a 446 then no one will answer it. PMR is not CB or Ham. You will only get out by half a mile in town and about 1 to 2 miles without buildings.

knight.
You are right and I am right. We are both right.

Neither of our statements holds any more authority or correctness than the other.

As Fez points out, it comes down to gentlemanly behaviour. I wouldn't start calling CQ on channel 8 if I heard people already using it, and I would hope you wouldn't start up a conversation over the top of people already using a channel.
overlandadventures

Post by overlandadventures »

While we're on the 08 08 thing, is it worth mentioning that as I understood it the "breaking channel" for those who wish to use it as such, Is pmr Ch8 tone 88.5 hz (optional) which on MANY radios is tone 8 on the privacy code list. If you want to use it to call out with or listen with it armed check your radios instruction manual to ensure you have the correct tone in use.
I know I've been caught out before by manufacturers using different ctcss codes on the tone list.
hope that helps
John
gadget_sa
Regular
Regular

Post by gadget_sa »

This is all rather interesting...
Having just got a decent set of PMR I have had it on my desk just scanning away and listening to conversations about this and that... some were very interesting, others my staff had to come in and wake me up from....

Anyway, thought I would see if anyone coud hear me so when they stopped talking I had a crack at seeing if I was audible, but no-one came back??
The channels were LPD ones.

So am I doing something wrong?
Because I can hear them, does it mean they "should" hear me?
Or am I supposed to be following some sort of "code of practise" in calling out for a response?
AQll very confusing, but interesting..
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

I'm going to avoid this one, other than to post this link to a thread I started the other day

http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/vi ... f=4&t=9825

regards

BB

who passively monitors 08:08 (not 08:00 - too damned noisy!) , and who DOES call
CQ occasionally on channel 8:08 when mobile , whilst listening 08:00 and HAS had answers !
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

gadget_sa wrote:This is all rather interesting...
Having just got a decent set of PMR I have had it on my desk just scanning away and listening to conversations about this and that... some were very interesting, others my staff had to come in and wake me up from....

Anyway, thought I would see if anyone coud hear me so when they stopped talking I had a crack at seeing if I was audible, but no-one came back??
The channels were LPD ones.

So am I doing something wrong?
Because I can hear them, does it mean they "should" hear me?
Or am I supposed to be following some sort of "code of practise" in calling out for a response?
AQll very confusing, but interesting..
Chance of a random LPD contact is remote. They are even lower powered than PMR446, so you really really really would need to be in an advantageous (high and in the open) location.

If they are using CTCSS or DCS (which is almost certainly the case), then you would need to match their CTCSS or DCS settings for them to be able to hear you. This opens a whole bag of rotten worms. If they are using CTCSS or DCS, then they probably don't want you to interrupt them. They may even be under the (false) impression that their communications are 'private'. You may be seen as a rude or even 'criminal' intruder.

It's probably worth mentioning that LPD usage in the UK is pretty new (at least legally), so there is NO accepted wisdom for what channel to use or where and when to call. It's probably also worth mentioning that the LPD channels overlap the amateur 70cm band and that you may be hearing amateur usage of the same channels. To be honest with you, using the LPD channels for random contacts is a minefield. I'm not saying don't, but you might find a more positive response with either PMR446 or preferably CB Radio, which is designed for 'open channel' communications.