what about 169MHz for "VHF CB"?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Re: what about 169MHz for "VHF CB"?

Post by Tim Tom »

Andy wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 08:27 Paul, you mention 'illegal CB activity' on 446. Genuine question - what is that? I thought 446 WAS a licence-free CB allocation? Or is it to do with power levels and big antennas?
With pmr446 there's power restrictions and I believe antenna restrictions? Legally anyway. For example, legally you wouldn't be allowed to use like a baofeng because they kick out 5 Watts where has I think the limit is like 1 watt or less?

However all you have to do is walk down your high street and you'll hear minimum of sports direct on the PMR frequencies using more power haha
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid
deadite66
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM7373

Post by deadite66 »

yeah legal rules are 500mw and a fixed aerial.
SDRPlay RSP1A + CrossCountryWireless Loop
Icom IC7410 + thunderpole boomerang
Retevis RT90 (opengd77) + Diamond x50
Yupiteru MVT-9000MKII, Baofeng DM-1801 (with opengd77)
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

paulears wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 06:13

Nobody has made a case for any legitimate need at all. I’m not anti a new allocation, but how many people would use it? What’s the point. What need cannot be serviced by CB now or the illegal 446 use?

The Majority of people i find trying new bands or wanting new bands are those that either hate the current bands because they're dead, expecting a new band to bring new life in to the hobby.
want new bands because they've already ruined and driven off genuine users of other bands, so need to find more victims.
or as sad as this sounds can't find anyone underage to groom, and yet it sounds sad, but CB when it was busy was full of undesirables, once the younger ones left or grew up and knew to report offenders they vanished,
446 appeared and it became full of kids on cheap radios and could easily be traced, intercepted and groomed, since the parents realised what was going on 446 locally is pretty much child free and pervert free now as well.
so are they looking for a new band to get new users and new victims ?

or a place to go out the way as not to be bothered by people who actually know their type and don't want them on the air..

locally a group have left radio all together to use Zello or other pretend radio apps, simply because they cna have their own dark chats on their own private channels.

so back on point, no one will make a legitimate argument for more channels and they don't use the ones they already have.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Post by Tim Tom »

In my opinion 27 megs is fine as it is for cb. Pmr446 is pretty meh unless you like speaking to builders. If you want other bands for more dx or community etc then do your amateur ticket.
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Tim Tom wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 17:01 If you want other bands for more dx or community etc then do your amateur ticket.
I know people who have even failed the foundation..
what hope is there for them..??

CB is spoiled by Amateurs who sit on channel 19 running 100w or more on HF sets.
SSB is spoiled by newcomers who have little clue how to use SSB but were advised by some other ill advised idiot on facebook to 'get SSB because it's busy'
446 i agree with you, but you'll be surprised, join in and chat to builders or other sensible sounding people and they can get an interest in radio from just speaking to strangers over the air.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

You know the answer already. It’s licence exempt with approved equipment. Up the power, add better antennas and strictly speaking, all that happens is you lose the exemption, so would need to apply for a licence, which would not be granted. Then, you are operating illegally and would go to prison for 100 years, and your children sold into slavery, and your wife auctioned to the highest bidder. Or not.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

paulears wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 07:06 It’s licence exempt with approved equipment. Up the power, add better antennas and strictly speaking, all that happens is you lose the exemption, so would need to apply for a licence, which would not be granted.

although there are still legal users on 446, one local to me was i think DHL on 446.150,
of course these users are slowly being moved but there are legitimate users in between and on the 446 CB channels.

so this would be where the dim Ofcom officials actually have to work and check the WTR for licenced users,
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Why constantly worry and moan about what others are doing? I don't get it, I can only assume there are some very unhappy people about leading sad and lonely lives.

Just get on with your life's and if people want to use 446 or any other frequency in a way that is not legal so what, in what way does it effect you?

Like a bunch of old women on Mumsnet moaning about next doors cat, moan, moan, moan.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................