BAOFENG UV-5R PROGRAMING HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

BAOFENG UV-5R PROGRAMING HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by WARLOCK »

Is it possable to search the VHF marine channels only on a baofeng uv-5r nothing else ?
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: BAOFENG UV-5R PROGRAMING HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by grafter »

Use Chirp to create and upload a marine band specific memory file.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Yes it is possible.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ranger
Call Sign: 26TM140

Post by ranger »

As mentioned , use "Chirp" to program and I am pretty certain they have some pre-loaded stuff available.
Look for the "Stock Con Fig" drop down menu to find the marine vhf.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

Bear in mind the UV5R doesn't have the Wheel mark, so it might not be recognised as a radio by boat insurers. It'll work (very well), but as far as lloyds or whoever are concerned it's not a radio.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I think the main problem using a Baofeng UV-5R or any Baofeng come to that, to scan the marine band, is that the scan speed is so slow, that by the time the scan has finished the oceans of the world will have dried up :D

Good as spot frequency monitors mind you in some circumstances, and I have quite a few Wouxun and Linton handies for this purpose.

But please do the world a favour, if anyone decides to use a Baofeng a Wouxun or any other make of transceiver for that matter, just as a marine band monitor, then please consider disabling the transmit function on the marine frequencies as someone's life may depend upon it one day.

I have disabled my Wouxun KG-UVD1p for example, so that it cannot transmit on the marine band or the airband, just for peace of mind, as I carry it in my rucksack at times and if it does get stuck in transmit for some reason then it's not going to emit a carrier on a potential 'Safety-Of-Life' frequency.

May stop you having to pay a visit to the local Magistrate if it happens and Baldock Monitoring track you down!

'It was an accident officer honestly, I didn't mean to do it' :sick:

'Likely story sonny, your nicked, get in the back of the car, your coming down the station' :thumbdown:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................