CRT SPACE PMR 446 RADIO ANY GOOD

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

CRT SPACE PMR 446 RADIO ANY GOOD

Post by WARLOCK »

Anyone use or have used a crt space u uhf radio , If so are they any good or not , I am thinking of using one as a 446 home base with a out door antenna ( any tips as to which antenna ) I should buy ,
Mike 26CT1074
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 26CT1074

Re: CRT SPACE PMR 446 RADIO ANY GOOD

Post by Mike 26CT1074 »

Hiya,

I've used one for some time and find it a great little radio.

Remember though, there are no 'legal' antennas for sale for PMR use. All they usually are, are just 70cm antennas being sold as for PMR use. Because they aren't legal to use at all.

Any 70cm antenna will work fine, because the difference in SWR between the 70cm amateur band and PMR446 is minimal.

You would be better off making yourself a simple dipole or bazooka antenna and tune it right soley for 446 mhz if you so wish.

But yes, the CRT Space U is a cracking little radio.

Cheers.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Most if not all of the 70cm antennas on the market will work just fine on 446 because most antennas are made to cover the USA version of 70cm due to the size of the market for sales potential.

The 70cm band in the good old US of A goes from 420 to 450 MHz ie in the states the pmr446 frequencies are an amateur license allocation, whereas as you may already know the 70 cm amateur band in the UK covers 430 to 440mhz.

But indeed, I agree, the best bet is to make your own antenna and not very difficult to do on these sort of frequencies.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I am going to dig up this thread as i am thinking of buying one of these for listening in ;) on PMR 446 and 70cm.

What is the adjacent channel rejection like? I think if I were to rig my Baofeng to a larger antenna the reciever would quickly overloaded.

Also does the s-meter simply read full scale as soon as the squelch opened?

The other one I was looking at was this https://www.moonraker.eu/amateur-radio/ ... eiver-5233

I can't seem to find many reviews on it...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Some reviews on amazon for it.

26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I had some bad experiences with a VV-898, these things may have been fixed in later versions. My experiences were:

GOOD: Really sensitive, it would pick up things that nothing else would. Also quite small. Standard Cat5 mic connector. A lot of functionality.

MISC: Audio sounds really mushy, like digital. It's like the audio is a really low bitrate MP3, just really squishy sounding.

BAD: After a while it just glitched out on me, slow to respond to button presses. Eventually just stopped responding at all, became totally unresponsive.

Apart from those issues I really liked it.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

In that case I think I might wait and spend a bit more money.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.