Some extra frequencies to use UK

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Some extra frequencies to use UK

Post by paulears »

This is just plain stupid!

The ham bands are for hams. Why try to invade their space and hope they don't give you grief? You could use spectrum anywhere people go into the PMR446 band and all use the same channels - 445 and 447 are empty. 429 to 430 is empty, and in fact there are so many empty out of the way channels that radios could be programmed to that groups of radio users could go all out anywhere and if they choose sensibly be left totally alone. Pop up in the ham bands and somebody will notice and give you grief. So why do it? If you want reliable but covert operation, do it somewhere people don't scan or monitor. The moral and ethical issues you have already set to one side. I won't comment on that - but if you wish to use illegal substances, you don't do it where people can see you unless you're mad. Same with radio. If you don't have a licence for a frequency, then it's illegal. Just do it somewhere nobody notices. If somebody uses ham frequencies, they will retaliate, it happens in PMR446 when people annoy each other, it happens in CB and even occasionally on marine. Remember when there was a 928MHz CB band - there are a few enthusiasts still there, on their own, in between the interference and nobody notices. If you want reliable comms - do it where there are no users.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

paulears wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 10:29 This is just plain stupid!

The ham bands are for hams. Why try to invade their space and hope they don't give you grief? You could use spectrum anywhere people go into the PMR446 band and all use the same channels - 445 and 447 are empty. 429 to 430 is empty, and in fact there are so many empty out of the way channels that radios could be programmed to that groups of radio users could go all out anywhere and if they choose sensibly be left totally alone. Pop up in the ham bands and somebody will notice and give you grief. So why do it? If you want reliable but covert operation, do it somewhere people don't scan or monitor. The moral and ethical issues you have already set to one side. I won't comment on that - but if you wish to use illegal substances, you don't do it where people can see you unless you're mad. Same with radio. If you don't have a licence for a frequency, then it's illegal. Just do it somewhere nobody notices. If somebody uses ham frequencies, they will retaliate, it happens in PMR446 when people annoy each other, it happens in CB and even occasionally on marine. Remember when there was a 928MHz CB band - there are a few enthusiasts still there, on their own, in between the interference and nobody notices. If you want reliable comms - do it where there are no users.
I am a licensed Ham and yes I'll admit it was stupid to suggest that free banders should make use of them if hams don't and I specifically said in my other post above for them to wait for a clear frequency so they don't "invade" ham communications which isn't that hard considering the bands are dead most of the time anyway. I was feeling annoyed and frustrated at the time when I made that suggestion due to the said bands being dead, not used and peoples attitudes towards just not caring or not using the bands in general, however I would like to encourage those on PMR446 who like radio to take the foundation course and go on those bands where they can run more power and also have better antennas and setups in general as it makes more sense to make use of the 70cms band rather than using PMR446. If unlicensed freebanders did come on to 70cms I wouldn't be able to communicate with them anyway as a ham.

As for the M.O.D they don't use the 70cms FM simplex frequencies. They are around 431, 432, 435, 438 when or if the M.O.D or Army Cadets etc ever do use the 70cms band.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

DX-Digger wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:42 Just one thing you fail to point out.
70cms ham band is a secondary allocation. We are allowed to share the band, but the primary users are Military.
Just because you cant hear people on 70cms does not mean they are not there.
If a military station comes onto the frequency you are operating on and asks you to kindly move. YOU MOVE!
So encouraging pirates onto ham bands is not a good option especially if you dont know who the primary users of that band are.
Try doing a bit of homework before giving away something that isnt yours to give.
I think if the MoD tried that on PMR446 they'd be in for a pretty amusing riposte, to the effect that they kindly find a more suitable channel and stop trying to scare the kids. Followed by about 5 mins of various call tones. It'd make for some interesting listening, as would any effort to (rightly) claim their ownership of the UK 11m allocation...
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

They used quite a lot of frequencies years ago but ofcom took most of them away in recent years. The M.O.D also had a frequency somewhere in the 446.1 range whether they still use it I don't know.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

26mb04 wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 01:44
DX-Digger wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:42 Just one thing you fail to point out.
70cms ham band is a secondary allocation. We are allowed to share the band, but the primary users are Military.
Just because you cant hear people on 70cms does not mean they are not there.
If a military station comes onto the frequency you are operating on and asks you to kindly move. YOU MOVE!
So encouraging pirates onto ham bands is not a good option especially if you dont know who the primary users of that band are.
Try doing a bit of homework before giving away something that isnt yours to give.
I think if the MoD tried that on PMR446 they'd be in for a pretty amusing riposte, to the effect that they kindly find a more suitable channel and stop trying to scare the kids. Followed by about 5 mins of various call tones. It'd make for some interesting listening, as would any effort to (rightly) claim their ownership of the UK 11m allocation...
I wasnt referring to 446MHz I was referring to 430 to 440MHz Amateur bands. The postie was proposing that pirates should use 2mtrs and 70cms Amateur bands. I was just pointing out that our 70cms allocation is secondary so you cannot give away what isnt yours to give.
But hey go for it if that floats your boat :thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

This is all wrong. If you want to use 70cm and 2m, get a licence and do it properly. It's not as if a foundation licence is difficult to get, if you can fit a mains plug and write your name you've cracked it. The bands are in use (I can usually find a few QSO's if I tune around), but I agree they are much quieter than they used to be. PMR 446 users have plenty of room to operate in, and every time I listen 446 is almost deserted.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

And Werthers finally outs himself as a previously banned user.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Admiral wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 19:52 And Werthers finally outs himself as a previously banned user.
Not the one from Cumbria? Surely not! ;)
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

they really don't have to use prescribed frequencies at all in a band where they are the primary user. We don't have a current need to have military traffic in these bands, but you bet there are plans in a filing cabinet that would be handed out, frequency allocated and in use in a very short time. Especially as those current tactical radios have amazingly wide band operation.Remember when the olympics happened in London and all sorts of frequencies suddenly became available, borrowed from all over the place.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I used to know some military frequencies but can't remember what they were now, what I do know is they have a lot less now. I think there using Digital in the 200MHz to 300MHz range judging by the military radios I've seen and have some analog/digital frequencies on 432MHz. They also have a couple air band frequencies and a few on HF. I've scanned the 200MHz to 300 MHz but only pick up digital noise and Nato were somewhere in the 500 MHz range whether they are still there I do not know maybe somebody who knows more could tell us as I'm interested in hearing some military chatter.