Local working

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
163GW

Local working

Post by 163GW »

I recently worked a new MW6 on PMR446 after chatting to him on 2m. He's 3.3 miles away (measured on GoogleEarth) and we can work each other clearly, no problem at all. I'm hoping that maybe this is the start of the first local 446 net? :lol:
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Did you use standard issue handie's for PMR446, or did the MW6 for that matter?

Or, did he use an external antenna?

Or, you may have some very fortunate geography (not many obstructions being both in your favour).

Interesting stuff... 8)
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
163GW

Post by 163GW »

Standard rigs. Mine are BT Freeways, and Dai (his shiny new callsign is MW6DAI! :lol: )used a Uniden 446 rig. Both on just the handie's, no external antennas. He was as shocked as I was. However, he lives at the northern end of the valley and quite high up, so that's what did it, but even so, we're not line of sight - that's why I was surprised!

I'm getting more curious about this 446 as time passes!
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Post by dean_aberdare »

Funnily enough I just heard Dai with his new callsign on the repeater L8...Ive got a PMR Motorola T5562 here somewhere but I wouldnt get down to you cos youre around the corner a bit..
MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
163GW

Post by 163GW »

You're a bit too far away Dean mate, two valleys away, but when you get operational on 2m, we'll have to arrange a sked on 446, and I'll go up the hill to work you on there! Or maybe stick up a 67cm antenna and do it from the home QTH! :wink:
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

Which is the local repeater for you guys? If you can work WW or WD I'll join you for a chat some time. I'm a native of Swansea, despite the current QTH, and still get down there several times a year to visit my Mum and Dad. They're in Blackpill so neither of those repeaters is a challenge to work, even on a handheld. Might even take a decent 446 radio with me next time too, to cover all the angles :)

Neil
G0TVJ

Edit: I meant WG. not WD.
Last edited by G0TVJ on 15 Aug 2008, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
163GW

Post by 163GW »

Just BC for me Neil, I've only got a 2m wire dipole pinned to the shack wall specifically for working it........it's about 2 miles away so the Heath-Robinson dipole does the job........poor I know, but that's the extent of my VHF operation here mate! :roll:
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

This is seriously good going 163GW.

Good to see you having plenty of fun on the "67cm Band".

Do we now have a new CQ call?

"CQ 67 CQ 67cm, This is [insert call sign here] calling for DX and standing by, QRZ" ? :lol:

Love it! :lol:

The terminology of "67cm Band" could become rather catchy
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Post by dean_aberdare »

Hi Neil, where Im located I have a good take off to the west toward Swansea and im sure with a decent 2m beam I could get into GB3WW in Port Talbot and this is confirmed by coverage map..Im actually in Llwydcoed, Aberdare and looking at the coverage map I could do it...so maybe when youre down this way we'll hook up..Maybe 163GW will have an opinion on wether I could make the trip down to WW ..
MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
163GW

Post by 163GW »

You're right Pantenman...... I told Dai (MW6DAI.....I still can't get over that! :wink: ) that not only is he the first radio amateur in Bedlinog (which he is), but he's the first to work the entire length of the Taff Bargoed valley on 67cm. Which is true....along with me of course!

On the subject of 67cm........why are 0.5w 70cm amateur handie's sold as '70cm handies', but ours are sold as '446Mhz rigs'?

Terminology I guess? :roll:

I have a damn good mind to start a '67cm band' thread........ :-k
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

163GW wrote:Just BC for me Neil, I've only got a 2m wire dipole pinned to the shack wall specifically for working it........it's about 2 miles away so the Heath-Robinson dipole does the job........poor I know, but that's the extent of my VHF operation here mate! :roll:
BC is not too good in Swansea these days but I pass it on the way there so you never know...

The new location for WW/WG is superb. I'm planning a trip that way in early September but it's all a bit uncertain at the moment.

I suppose I could always stand next to the repeater with a "67 cm rig" and see how I get on :D

Neil
163GW

Post by 163GW »

I'd work you then mate, no problem at all, on 2m, 67cm or 70cm.......you'd be on the hill facing my QTH! :lol:
JE-WV1

Post by JE-WV1 »

I've always used "CQ 446" on my fruitless (mostly) calls!
8)
163GW

Post by 163GW »

You should have called "CQ 67cm...." then the DX calls would have come flooding in....... :lol: :lol: :lol: