Callsign format for PMR446?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
andrew30
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 329TM1

Callsign format for PMR446?

Post by andrew30 »

Hey,
been wondering about this - do you all use your CB/11m callsign format on PMR446 bands? Seeing that PMR is more local, there is more traditional approach with a callsign consisting of a op name + qth, for example "Jake Plymouth", but it's a regional habit in my area, and not sure how far away it reaches.

Which calls do you guys/gals use on PMR446/433/ISM bands?
Mitch

Re: Callsign format for PMR446?

Post by Mitch »

Mine's usually "Can you hear me misses" with the handhelds, being line of site. Gets about 100 yards (metres) around the local housing estate so no need to ID, turn a corner and it's "eh, what did you say?". I only use it for local. Max range is about a mile if there's no obstructions, like in the countryside.
The perfect face for radio.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

PMR ??
you mean 446 Childrens CB band ??
people rarely use callsigns on CB so why on 446 ??
just use it normally as you would a CB, if there is a group of you then use handles or call signs.
around here it's just 'oi pedo' if you use 446.
seeing as it's mostly kids of 60 plus year old amateurs.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
andrew30
Regular
Regular

Post by andrew30 »

Well, it's no real achievement to do 100-200km QSOs on this band. It's mostly for hilly areas, but it performs very well in line of sight. I'd assume forming local ragchew nets on it, is no stretch of imagination.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

andrew30 wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 12:42 Well, it's no real achievement to do 100-200km QSOs on this band.

worked a guy in France on 446 a few years back.,
i was only on 50w vertical X300
he was on 400w and a four stack though, but hey..
andrew30
Regular
Regular

Post by andrew30 »

Nice! FM or something narrower?

That 200km figure was meant on stock 500mW/27dBm power. Had 180km qso on 1st of Jan actually.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

On 11m and 446, I usually say 'it's Mike here from Caerphilly' but if they come back with a callsign I usually use my Charlie Tango one 163CT140.

I usually have conversations within a 30 mile radius around the local south Wales area and over into Somerset.

Last summer 446 was alive with activity and a few of the local guys worked into France on a regular basis when on top of the local hills with low power and a mobile co-linear.

Not a bit like 70cm, where all you can hear are the tumble weeds blowing buy and the odd repeater ident or if you do hear anyone its usually someone with one foot in the grave discussing tomato plants, prostate problems or bigpimp talking about paedo's again.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Mikel wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 20:28

Last summer 446 was alive with activity and a few of the local guys worked into France on a regular basis when on top of the local hills with low power and a mobile co-linear.

Not a bit like 70cm, where all you can hear are the tumble weeds blowing buy and the odd repeater ident or if you do hear anyone its usually someone with one foot in the grave discussing tomato plants, prostate problems or bigpimp talking about paedo's again.

you obvious don't listen on 70cms during the weekly UKAC.
that said 70cms is pretty much dead, although we have a local group of 'don't give a sh1ts' who like to cross band from the ISS/Raynet frequency and use a repeater INPUT on 70cms to talk back on.

and with the recent lifts on VHF and UHF the past few weeks there's been quite a bit of UHF activity, and you don't need to be on 'high ground' to work any DX.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

To be fair 70cm is a big band at 10 megs wide, so what's that, 3,120 channels with 12.5kHz channel spacing ? (if my maths are correct!).

PMR446 on the other hand is 16 channels (analogue) with 12.5kHz channel spacing, so it doesn't take much to fill it up.

It is easy to claim 70cm is dead and unless you have a decent band-scope/SDR then that's how it will appear at times.

Pity they got rid of the 934Mhz CB allocation in 1999, I bet the Chinese radios and antennas would have been cheap for that band these days.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
stanogs68
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by stanogs68 »

bigpimp347 wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 10:47 PMR ??
just use it normally as you would a CB, if there is a group of you then use handles or call signs.
:lol: oi paedo got me im in stiches
computers mess with my brain !
paulears
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I'm confused? PMR446 is over the counter, licence free - and there are no callsigns, bar whatever the users, normally close enough to shout want to call themselves? When strangers do hook up, they normally avoid giving any clues as to who or exactly where they are? I'm at a loss to understand a need for callsigns, and there certainly is no format anyone must use. Have I missed the point?
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

paulears wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 17:33 I'm confused? PMR446 is over the counter, licence free - and there are no callsigns, bar whatever the users, normally close enough to shout want to call themselves? When strangers do hook up, they normally avoid giving any clues as to who or exactly where they are? I'm at a loss to understand a need for callsigns, and there certainly is no format anyone must use. Have I missed the point?
Confused? Yeah I can think of a more appropriate word for you, that begins with C as well ;)

Are you seriously that out of touch?
Last edited by Mikel on 17 Jan 2021, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

stanogs68 wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:10
bigpimp347 wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 10:47 PMR ??
:lol: oi paedo got me im in stiches
Please don't encourage him Stan he's bad enough as it is :)
26mb04
Call Sign: 26MB04

Post by 26mb04 »

I use my CB callsign on there. It's the same idea as CB, just a different frequency.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF