What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Post by BK »

gadget_sa wrote:others my staff had to come in and wake me up from....

The channels were LPD ones.
Sounds like you were hearing hams on the 70cm amateur band, the LPD channels overlap the FM simplex channels and some repeater inputs and outputs too. LPD channels 1-13 are also amateur repeater outputs 3-15, LPD channels 62-69 are also amateur repeater inputs 0-7, and the channels in between are FM simplex channels. Amateurs are allowed to use 400W transmitter power and high gain beam antennas compared with LPD's 10mW and fixed rubber duck antenna, so anything you hear is likely to be amateur. They are less likely to hear you though, and it would be illegal for them to reply to you using their amateur equipment as it is not type approved for LPD use and you (presumably) are not a licensed radio amateur.
Soong
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Sentinel

Re: What is the PMR446 Calling Channel?

Post by Soong »

I suspect things being as they are during this crisis, people will be digging out their PMR sets and listening/calling on 8 to see who in their neighbourhood is doing the same. Might be worth us, as enthusiasts and professions, keeping a watch on PMR8 and indeed CB14.