mic paint

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

mic paint

Post by 109 Jim »

I have the SkipMaster 42000 and its needing a make over , what type of paint should i use
Alan Pilot

Re: mic paint

Post by Alan Pilot »

What about Hammerite could look good in the right colour and they have a lot of choice.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

Alan Pilot wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 05:03 What about Hammerite could look good in the right colour and they have a lot of choice.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'm not familiar with that Mic.

I know clear coat spray is pretty good. When I spray things I always do a final spray of clear coat but thats on metal, not sure how well it will take to plastic if the mic is plastic or metal.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

Werthers wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 19:18 I'm not familiar with that Mic.

I know clear coat spray is pretty good. When I spray things I always do a final spray of clear coat but thats on metal, not sure how well it will take to plastic if the mic is plastic or metal.
sorry i forgot to say , its metal , will put a pic on later
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Still think hammerite would look good and the finnish also.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Loads of versions of hammerite and the green colour hammered one would look really good. You need to roughen the surface up a bit to get a decent key. The green one is a bit sparkly in the light.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

First let me say i aint no painter and not bad for my first attempt , i usually dont have the attention span or i get someone else to do it , the skipmaster is looking alot better than it did. i used plastikote fast dry project enamel spray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John555

Post by John555 »

looking good! i need to do my old astatic 1104c so i reckon ill use the same. did you clear coat it after?
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

John555 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 10:03 looking good! i need to do my old astatic 1104c so i reckon ill use the same. did you clear coat it after?

no when it dried it had a nice shine to it so i left it
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

avoid hammerite, the paint was never a hammered finish and would look crap..
mics were satin black, flat gold and a flat silver.

to be fair i'd have them powder coated over paint, as being alloy they are hard to get a good key and chip easy, (i spray alloy bike frames for fun)
a lot of powder coaters will do a mic for a couple of quid if they're already using the same colour rather than doing a one off for £40..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

As i said i usually dont have the attention span to do these things and for a first attempt it came out not too bad and the plastikote fast dry project enamel spray was only a fiver and if i mucked it up i could have always sent it to someone who knows what they are doing , would i do it again NO lol
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

109 Jim wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 08:35 As i said i usually dont have the attention span to do these things and for a first attempt it came out not too bad and the plastikote fast dry project enamel spray was only a fiver and if i mucked it up i could have always sent it to someone who knows what they are doing , would i do it again NO lol
Practice spray painting on something else. Like many things things its easy once you get the hang of it. One thing I learned is that you can't rely on other people. Learn to do it yourself, of course not all spray paint is the same and will require some practice sprays before you spay your project.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I prefer natural patina, show of the usage with pride, I only intervene when the dreaded rust comes by
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Alucard
Call Sign: TW4T

Post by Alucard »

Rust is becoming fashionable if you believe the makeover programs on TV.
Never ask a starfish for directions.