NASA Target HF3 help

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

NASA Target HF3 help

Post by NightProwler »

Hey all, I just picked up a NASA Target HF3 receiver. I have a Yaesu FRG 7700 which is connected to about 60 foot of wire running up the garden. Now the Yaesu works lovely with almost no QRM noise and pulls in station from all over the world but the Target HF3 on the same antenna just brings in 30+ noise right through the band, It's almost impossible to receive any stations unless they are really strong. I tried it on a short length on wire running across the shack ceiling, About 6 foot long but its the same, No antenna no noise but as soon as anything is plugged in theres that noise. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers all...Rich :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NASA Target HF3 help

Post by NightProwler »

Hmmm school boy error...God damn cheap Chinese power supplies :lol:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Bloody cheap Chinese power supplies are a plague. My daughter has a reconditioned HP laptop and the cheap non HP charger that comes with it announces it's presence as soon as it is plugged in by wiping everything out - full stop!
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
scan125
Call Sign: 26TM8080

Post by scan125 »

Mikel wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 14:05 Bloody cheap Chinese power supplies are a plague. My daughter has a reconditioned HP laptop and the cheap non HP charger that comes with it announces it's presence as soon as it is plugged in by wiping everything out - full stop!
Well it should/must legally have a CE label and to obtain this pass the relevant Safety and EMC standards. If it clearly fails on EMC and wipes out everything around it then it is probably going to be very unsafe as well and has probably NOT got and proper CE test certification. I would be looking to replace it ASAP AND then put a formal complaint in so no more of these potentially dangerous items get to our shores again.
Nick - Author Of: Scan125 - Scan75 - DriveR8 - http://www.nick-bailey.co.uk
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Self certification makes a mockery of the CE mark, take for example this PC PSU available from a reputable PC retailer who refused to deal with my complaint because 'it meets all necessary standards required for the CE mark'. It generated wideband interference from around 400kHz to 42MHz.
pcpsu_120309.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm not too sure what mine is branded as, NASA, Lowe, or any of the other million screen-prints, but I found mine doesn't like any switching PSU, no matter how high end. I ran mine from an old school 3amp CB PSU and it worked a treat. Also, grounding to the mains earth system killed it too with +20db of crap, it prefers a copper rod in t'mud.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

One thing I have noticed with all these cheap Chinese power supplies is that when I have cracked them open with a screwdriver and a hammer, there are obviously components missing from the circuit board.

The holes are drilled and there are markings but nothing populating the board. Maybe these gaps are where the filters should have been installed but they left them out to save costs (or the fuse to stop them catching on fire)?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

This is worth a read:

https://www.ukqrm.org.uk/smps.php

Missing filter caps, linked-out filter chokes and even fake components. Fiendish Chinese. We have a DAB/FM radio in the kitchen. It's excellent on DAB but on FM there's a hissy whining noise behind even strong stations. I found it was due to the supplied switch mode wall wart, so I cracked it open and inside was the scruffiest PCB I'd ever clapped eyes on. No way would that pass ANY safety test, and it was whacking out some serious noise!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Well now I have thrown the nasty cheap Chinese power supply in the bin and connected it to a real linear supply I have to say what a lovely receiver the NASA target is.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

Bought a Lowe version and a Howes tuner for £2 off a car boot it had a mains adapter with it which made listening impossible so I used a CB power supply, 3amp Bremi worked lovely still got it all still.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.