loop antena

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
gerald123

loop antena

Post by gerald123 »

hi, I am thinking of making a loop antenna for receving the hf bands.....I have seen a lot of these loops on utube but all with diffirent tuning capicitors can someone please give me some advice on whitch one to use... :think:
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Re: loop antena

Post by dt307 »

just google hf rx magnetic loop antenna lots will come up

i used a vacuum one with a slow motor drive for remote tuning untill i cooked it lol too much tx power

also used different lengths for different bands of open ended rg213 bandwidth was narrow but worked

just about any air spaced 250pf or bigger would prob be ok depending on loop size
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

If it's for RX you can go either way - a broadband untuned one (with amplifier box at the loop) or a tuned one, but remotely tuning the loop can be tricky with motors, gearboxes and caps etc.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
gerald123

Post by gerald123 »

thanks lads some good advice there ..so you use different lengths for different bands.. so could I make one size for all the bands or would the loop be to big.
gerald123

Post by gerald123 »

I just google hf rx magnetic loop antenna... and like you say.....there is lot of ways of making these antenna.. time to experiment.