My air Band Listening

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

My air Band Listening

Post by Werthers »

Here is a thread about my Air Band listening and to share some frequencies to help others search for activity.

I've been spending the whole morning scanning and listening and writing down the frequencies. I'm in the Essex area near London.

I had to switch off a few things before I started my scan because I was getting terrible interference and couldn't scan any AM Air Band frequencies.

I did scan the 200 MHz Military Band but got nothing.

I got plenty on these frequencies.

125.625 MHz - Radio Tower
125.635 MHz
134.125 MHz
135.425 MHz
134.350 MHz
127.950 MHz
134.750 MHz
130.775 MHz - Military Plane
120.625 MHz
118.825 MHz
136.350 MHz - Military Plane
134.425 MHz
122.800 MHz
119.725 MHz
132.600 MHz
119.775 MHz
127.950 MHz
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: My air Band Listening

Post by paulears »

The military airband is usually impossible to search because it is hundreds of MGz wide, so your chances of finding that two second burst of traffic at exactly the moment the search goes past are lottery number small.

Airband is often a research band to scan - so most users start to keep lists of channels for their area. Military use of Civilian airband is minimal - only when they need to talk to civilians and civilian airfields. In your neck of the woods you have lots of stuff - Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are full of nasty looking helicopters, for example.

So the first step is something like adsbexchange to see where your activity is, and where it goes to and comes from - then you google for example, Wattisham frequencies, and follow the trail. www.wattisham.org.uk/radio.htm will get you some interesting things to type in. Plus the squadron details and you are away. Part of the fun is finding them. Searching 200MHz for this is futile. You'll also note that most info you uncover also gives you the next - so on the Wattisham page is Mildenhall and things like London Mil frequencies. Hope you get on OK.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

paulears wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:04 The military airband is usually impossible to search because it is hundreds of MGz wide, so your chances of finding that two second burst of traffic at exactly the moment the search goes past are lottery number small.

Airband is often a research band to scan - so most users start to keep lists of channels for their area. Military use of Civilian airband is minimal - only when they need to talk to civilians and civilian airfields. In your neck of the woods you have lots of stuff - Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are full of nasty looking helicopters, for example.

So the first step is something like adsbexchange to see where your activity is, and where it goes to and comes from - then you google for example, Wattisham frequencies, and follow the trail. www.wattisham.org.uk/radio.htm will get you some interesting things to type in. Plus the squadron details and you are away. Part of the fun is finding them. Searching 200MHz for this is futile. You'll also note that most info you uncover also gives you the next - so on the Wattisham page is Mildenhall and things like London Mil frequencies. Hope you get on OK.
Ah that would make sense, I probably need to have all the military frequencies ready programmed in for that.

I just heard the Air Ambulance talking to the control tower. Thanks for the info I'll shall follow some trails :thumbup:
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

paulears wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:04 The military airband is usually impossible to search because it is hundreds of MGz wide, so your chances of finding that two second burst of traffic at exactly the moment the search goes past are lottery number small.

Using an Airspy or similar SDR with the SDR# software equippied with the frequency scanner plugin gives you the ability to scan the entire mil-air band within a few seconds, allowing you to build up a frequency database with ease.
-