aor AR-3000A+ HOOK UP TO A COMPUTER ? HOW TO DO

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
milly

Re: aor AR-3000A+ HOOK UP TO A COMPUTER ? HOW TO DO

Post by milly »

MrWeetabix wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 11:37
WARLOCK wrote: 28 Jul 2013, 21:20 HELP NEEDED,just bought a aor ar3000a+now I would like to connect it up to my computer,i have got the cable coming now what software do I need ?
It would be nice if you could reply to those whom have taken the time to help you and let them know how you got on.... You often post new threads asking for help and then never post again on that thread. People may be less-incline to help if this becomes the norm for you.....
True enough ...but the replies were seven years ago so a bit late to mention it now ;)
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: aor AR-3000A+ HOOK UP TO A COMPUTER ? HOW TO DO

Post by bigbloke »

Just to add for anyone following in the footsteps of this thread.

All the commercial software for these radios (AOR8000 / 5000 / 3000 series) was written for 16 BIT versions of Windows.

16 bit compatibility in Windows 10 was provided by NTVDM.EXE (New Technology Virtual DOS Machine)

NTVDM.EXE has been dropped from 64 bit windows 10

NTVDM.EXE is still included in 32 bit windows 10 but a windows update "borked" its operation with all the AOR packages I have tried

Therefore the only guaranteed way to make this software work is to build a Windows 7 32 bit machine / virtual machine . on that, everything I have tried runs perfectly.

NB you will need the working version of VBRUN300.DLL for nearly ALL the above mentioned packages. it is available online but there are several versions. Install the file into EACH application folder not in Windows/system or anywhere else.

This information is believed accurate up to August 2021 I expect 32 bit NTVDM support to be dropped totally in windows 11

regards

BB