Base antenna but which one for dx freeband.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Crackle
Regular
Regular

Re: Base antenna but which one for dx freeband.

Post by Crackle »

If you want an antenna that stands up to the wind and is unobtrusive then the Solacon I-Max 2000 is a good choice.
Its only drawback is it needs to mount on a 1.5 inch pole which unless it has a nice thick wall makes the pole a little weak.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Cool thank you yes I noted the I bolts are narrow on imax in reality 2" would have been better.

on a side note I set up a sirio tornado new version as he bought it used and needed a bit of tlc already mainly bent tubes.
Yes I know it's weakness in plastic base which could be improved with some kind of support either side internally and a strengthening rod or dowel through both and centre.

However it's dam long and the 8' radials work fantastic.
Considering my antron is 30 feet up to base,the tornado only temp mounted 8' up its was bringing in better signal,less noise and my transmit was same as my antron up far higher.
Impressed with it ,just weak which is clear to see.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

original45 wrote: 10 May 2021, 15:04Considering my antron is 30 feet up to base,the tornado only temp mounted 8' up its was bringing in better signal,less noise and my transmit was same as my antron up far higher.
Any aluminium antenna, even silver rod work better than antron. That's nothing new :D
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Lol Chris .
Yes yes but I didn't expect that chris.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I use a Sirio GPE 27 5/8. I find it a good compromise between cost, performance and not being visually too intrusive. It certainly works better than my old Antron/Solarcon.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If I get a S2 increase between my.old A99 and my Imax with 9ft tank-whip top, I'd love to see what difference an aluminium Sigma 4 would make!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

The v 4000 is very long but I believe the 4000 had a change in production .not exactly clear what it was but assuming it's length or basket size.
Mate bought one weeks back ,set it up to look over but not yet tested.

I'm sure it was 27 feet long. Not sure how long it would last in high winds. The plastic cross braces for basket radials look flimsy too. Same issues as most sirio base antennas screws will come out but I'm sure it would see tx rx improvements over 827 at cost of strength.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The early Vector 4000's were huge 7/8th wave buggers I believe from memory...but most snapped or bent, so they dropped them to 3/4 wave to help matters. They're still a bit flimsy according to some reports online I read yonks back, hence me mentioning guying it.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

When they reduced the vector length to 3/4wave they increased the cone from about 90" like the sigma4 /commtel 444 /cte lw150 to a little under 107" or full 1/4wave as it should be.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

There was a Vector 4000 up on a house near my daughters school, but over the last few years it has steadily fallen apart so that only the main centre piece remains.

In contrast another house near me has an old Black Knight up, and it has been there for at least 30 years. it still looks in really good condition apart from no longer having coax attached to it.

They don't make things like they used to.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.