President McKinley EU Incoming

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
cooper
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM111

Re: President McKinley EU Incoming

Post by cooper »

I purchased a Mckinley for mobile use in the van, unfortunately modulation on both FM and SSB are virtually non existent even with a power mic, i can see the FM Mod/Dev adjustment on the above picture but what is the adjustment for SSB modulation? the AM modulation adjuster?

Cheers
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

cooper wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 14:50 I purchased a Mckinley for mobile use in the van, unfortunately modulation on both FM and SSB are virtually non existent even with a power mic, i can see the FM Mod/Dev adjustment on the above picture but what is the adjustment for SSB modulation? the AM modulation adjuster?

Cheers
Must be faulty if the modulation is that bad. I find the McKinley very good on all modes apart from FM where it's a little quiet.

Have you remembered to change the mic setting in the menu from Electret to Dynamic when using a power mic?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Definitely faulty in my mind if you've tried different mics.
Mine is fine, didn't have to adjust FM and even switching from dynamic to electret, there is still more than enough audio to drive SSB and AM to a decent level.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

delboyonline wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 18:32
cooper wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 14:50 I purchased a Mckinley for mobile use in the van, unfortunately modulation on both FM and SSB are virtually non existent even with a power mic, i can see the FM Mod/Dev adjustment on the above picture but what is the adjustment for SSB modulation? the AM modulation adjuster?

Cheers
Must be faulty if the modulation is that bad. I find the McKinley very good on all modes apart from FM where it's a little quiet.

Have you remembered to change the mic setting in the menu from Electret to Dynamic when using a power mic?
I did try both Electric and Dynamic with no noticeable difference, so it went back to the suppliers and it was promptly return with the advice "that`s how they are supplied these days nothing wrong with it" ( not really impressed ) so i had to adjust both FM deviation and the SSB alc which has improved the modulation and SSB power output a bit.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

cooper wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 14:32

Cheers

I did try both Electric and Dynamic with no noticeable difference, so it went back to the suppliers and it was promptly return with the advice "that`s how they are supplied these days nothing wrong with it" ( not really impressed ) so i had to adjust both FM deviation and the SSB alc which has improved the modulation and SSB power output a bit.
It's just the modern specifications which manufacturers of legal CB radios must follow. Nothing actually wrong with them but they can sound quiet compared to older radios.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

delboyonline wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 15:37
cooper wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 14:32

It's just the modern specifications which manufacturers of legal CB radios must follow. Nothing actually wrong with them but they can sound quiet compared to older radios.
You are right, but it`s a pain in the arse when you have to make adjustments to brand new equipment just to heard {bnghd}
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

7 months on and still happy with my McKinley EU.

It's not really worth the money but it works well!
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

delboyonline wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 21:24 7 months on and still happy with my McKinley EU.

It's not really worth the money but it works well!
When compared to the Johnson II it's worth it
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Did someone say the McKinley goes into meltdown when used with an Amp....I.E the transmitted audio becomes illegible.
26TM114
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Phoenix wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:25 Did someone say the McKinley goes into meltdown when used with an Amp....I.E the transmitted audio becomes illegible.
There was mention of this back in December on Simonthewizard's blog. Apparently the two he has show these symptoms.
I had meant to try mine hooked up to an amp but have never got round to it.

Anyway, it's about half way down the page

https://simonthewizard.com/2019/12/15/k ... ual-story/
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Tried mine on two different amps and all is well 😀
strippenzieher
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by strippenzieher »

For what is the potentiometer "AM high" and "FM high"?

listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

I have several users near me who use the mackinley eu and everyone of them sounds super. Unbeliviblely loud audio with the stock mic on ssb and am..so i cant understand why u have had to make any adjustments to u radio..
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

listner132 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 16:25 I have several users near me who use the mackinley eu and everyone of them sounds super. Unbeliviblely loud audio with the stock mic on ssb and am..so i cant understand why u have had to make any adjustments to u radio..
In common with most modern radios they sound quiet on FM due to strict specifications, however on AM and SSB they sound really good
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

strippenzieher wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 22:36 For what is the potentiometer "AM high" and "FM high"?

It's the output power when the radio is in export mode.