President McKinley EU Incoming

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: President McKinley EU Incoming

Post by 108EH002 »

Retro_CB_Dude wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 15:22
delboyonline wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 16:58 RadioZing (Jabber Products) have more in stock priced at £255 for those who are interested!
What is the URL or website address for Radiozing ?
It should have been Radiozing in brackets,as Jabber Products Simon was formally at Radiozing Retro ;)

Look up Jabber products ltd.co.uk :thumbup:
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

My Mckinley arrived yesterday. Not had a huge amount of time to test but I did manage an hour playing with it this morning.
I haven't decided yet if I'll expand it, so for now, it's in standard UK/EU configuration.

Early days but so far, it seems to work very well. Fortunately, there was some Sporadic-e today and there were strong signals from Northern Italy and Germany.

Comparing it with an AT-6666 & Midland 8001XT that I had on my bench, it was the best in terms of outright receiver performance, with respect to recovered audio and signal to noise.

The NB/ANL function doesn't work particularly well (what's new?) and the ASC seems to require a strong signal to open the squelch. Nice clear S7 signals were muted. Not a function I use, so I'm not particularly bothered.

Power output is as spec. There's some very mild warming of the case on the RHS.

When I have time, I'll compare it to my Lincoln II+ and Grant 2 Premium.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^Thanks for the info^was the skip strong enough to light up the 30+ Drew ?
Just that most of the newer radios I have used have toiled to hit the +30,unless someone is within a mile mobile and running power.,and that has been using the 827/Imax/SGM 28ft up.

27.555 Usb
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

108EH002 wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 18:01 ^Thanks for the info^was the skip strong enough to light up the 30+ Drew ?
Just that most of the newer radios I have used have toiled to hit the +30,unless someone is within a mile mobile and running power.
Not during the time I was listening. Assuming the s meter is properly calibrated, strongest signal was about +10.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

I worked Roy on Corsica Island yesterday on mine with the stock 12 watts and Vortex Q82.I have EDSL noise, but otherwise sounded well both ways.

Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SuJDjozhU

Dave
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Proves only, that propagation was strong, nothing else.
I talked to Haiti 4W AM from a mobile in early 90's. Doesn't prove, that Cobra 10+ was a good radio.
Chris

The propagation was far from strong, not trying to prove anything, just showing it working
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^Thanks for the updates Drew and Dave ^^

27.555 Usb
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

ch25 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 01:49 Proves only, that propagation was strong, nothing else.
I talked to Haiti 4W AM from a mobile in early 90's. Doesn't prove, that Cobra 10+ was a good radio.
Chris
Just proves Roys delta loop, remote QTH on top of hill could hear something. Plus Roy complained the audio was very quiet 🤫
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

simonthewizard wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:51
ch25 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 01:49 Proves only, that propagation was strong, nothing else.
Chris
Just proves Roys delta loop, remote QTH on top of hill could hear something. Plus Roy complained the audio was very quiet 🤫
Just maybe having a proper decent antenna like A Vortex Q82 on a mast and not a gate post is doing something too??........Can't comment about the audio, maybe the Sadelta is not suitable for the radio.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

I'm getting good audio reports from mine on AM/SSB but a little quiet on FM. My cobra dynamike solved that problem but strangely the radio did not like my RF limited cr577 mic which works extremely well on my Grant 2!

Output power is bang on 4w on AM/FM but a little low on SSB (Around 8 Watts) - Some Grant 2's were the same!

Anyway here's a short video of the skip heard here today...

https://youtu.be/6eKL9Qp7WwQ

And some internal photos here...

https://delboyonline.blogspot.com/2019/ ... t.html?m=0
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

Oggy wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:44
Chris
Just maybe having a proper decent antenna like A Vortex Q82 on a mast and not a gate post is doing something too??........Can't comment about the audio, maybe the Sadelta is not suitable for the radio.
Absolutely. Mines on a fence post attached to a 4ft steel pipe as being located next to the airport I’m not allowed a mast or anything else. Plus it’s below roof level as local laws don’t allow anything else.

Sadelta = Yes how it’s designed the standard Mike / very limited other Mikes work on it.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

simonthewizard wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 04:19

Absolutely. Mines on a fence post attached to a 4ft steel pipe as being located next to the airport I’m not allowed a mast or anything else. Plus it’s below roof level as local laws don’t allow anything else.

Sadelta = Yes how it’s designed the standard Mike / very limited other Mikes work on it.
Thanks for the information Simon,
It can't be a good situation you're in then.

I get a tad fed up with "Double Edged Sword" posts on the internet regarding my Youtube videos, like Lemmy above telling me about Propagation in the early 90's,as if I don't understand how things work!, "Tommy" sticking his nose in to what I do, it's my business, believe it or not it takes real effort now to do anything after my Life changing event and whilst I don't want flowers I'm proud not to run a Peanut Whistle Station here.
I fully believe it wasn't all Roy's Delta Loop doing the work and I was happy as it was just the radio power.
I'll keep doing the right thing for the hobby, best I can.

Regards,
Dave.
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

Oggy wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:01

I get a tad fed up with "Double Edged Sword" posts on the internet regarding my Youtube videos, like Lemmy above telling me about Propagation in the early 90's,as if I don't understand how things work!, "Tommy" sticking his nose in to what I do, it's my business, believe it or not it takes real effort now to do anything after my Life changing event and whilst I don't want flowers I'm proud not to run a Peanut Whistle Station here.
I fully believe it wasn't all Roy's Delta Loop doing the work and I was happy as it was just the radio power.

Regards,
Dave.
In your years of ham radio you must know if you live on a hill, quiet spot, Delta loop you’ll possibly work more than on a Himalaya WB on a fence post. IT WAS helpful what he used and where he’s sat. Myself I’ve done alright. Sure it’s full of QRM but we make do with cards we are dealt.

I’ve said nothing about “peanut station” don’t know Tommy or Lemmy. You tubes simple turn off comments. It’s a hobby, Everyone is a engineer, everyone knows everything. That’s why now I do more silently with factories. Change things from inside like Rob (rpcomms) People don’t like people getting success like in your case. Myself I’m not famous, I’m not any need to be. A wise person “you know who” told you can’t fight stupid. Concentrate do good videos for you. Who cares if 1 or 1 million views. Do it for fun and when it’s not fun then it’s an issue.

Mc Kinley must be ok as someone who posted a gravestone now owns one! Enjoy the hobby and ignore haters...
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

Regards,
Dave.
I do vidz now and then but rarely get any feedback, so I continue to do what I want in my video.
To be honest my vidz must be junk due to the number of hits they get.
You have a loyal following community and probably only a small amount negative feedback.
Keep on doing what keeps you happy
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

simonthewizard wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:30

Regards,
Dave.
In your years of ham radio you must know if you live on a hill, quiet spot, Delta loop you’ll possibly work more than on a Himalaya WB on a fence post. IT WAS helpful what he used and where he’s sat. Myself I’ve done alright. Sure it’s full of QRM but we make do with cards we are dealt.

I’ve said nothing about “peanut station” don’t know Tommy or Lemmy. You tubes simple turn off comments. It’s a hobby, Everyone is a engineer, everyone knows everything. That’s why now I do more silently with factories. Change things from inside like Rob (rpcomms) People don’t like people getting success like in your case. Myself I’m not famous, I’m not any need to be. A wise person “you know who” told you can’t fight stupid. Concentrate do good videos for you. Who cares if 1 or 1 million views. Do it for fun and when it’s not fun then it’s an issue.

Mc Kinley must be ok as someone who posted a gravestone now owns one! Enjoy the hobby and ignore haters...
I get your point, Lemmy is CB 25 (In a post above yours) and surely you remember posting on your Blog the other week showing my videos, but going into more detail about somebody called "Tommy" contacting you, having a go about me?........I'm not sure if it was Tommy Robinson, Tommy Trinder,Tommy Cannon, but somebody called Tommy.
I hardly class myself as famous, the only CB Radio Bloggers in Europe don't include myself and Hide in the shadows, some even with fake names.......not my style.
I have a hard skin, it comes from growing up as a Welder.
Oh yes maybe the tomb stone is empty then as your last remark says.

Dave.