What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2020)

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
flickpot
Call Sign: 163TM230

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2018)

Post by flickpot »

Happy outcome mate, still beggars belief tho about wrapping Radios and Related items up, Not hard buy a 50m roll of Bubble wrap from the Bay..for 8 quid
163-TM-230
163-FB-230
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Post by PeterA »

flickpot wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 00:56 Happy outcome mate, still beggars belief tho about wrapping Radios and Related items up, Not hard buy a 50m roll of Bubble wrap from the Bay..for 8 quid
Yep, Not the first time I've been utterly speechless regarding the lack of packaging or even the attempt to package something...

I'm convinced some people think after they hand an item over to the post office or courier, each item is placed in its own separate box of cotton balls or something? :crazy:

And yes, a very good outcome this time... considering what could of happened to it! :thumbup:
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've had that before now, where the plug has dug in swirl marks on the front of a rare radio's fascia panel after being sellotaped directly to it. Morons.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

The Collector wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 16:21
astradyne wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 07:58 Mint boxed S.H.C SS-485. Still needs the frequency expansion mod doing, but that'll take all of two minutes. This is the low power version with 12W PEP on SSB, but that's plenty enough to drive an amp.
I saw that thing (about £100), but I decided I could have bought 5 Fidelity 1000's for that ;)
Hello

Fidelity CB1000 FM Rig et SWR Meter

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Fidelity-CB1000 ... SwW3Fdc4nX

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've just seen that one Claude :)

I've got a mint, boxed one of those, but I really only go on about them as a joke. I do seriously love my old Fidelity Homebase though, apart from its audio being too bassy.
Marlin45
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163CT266

Post by Marlin45 »

The beer pushed me into bidding on an SS7900 last week, and I went and won the sale (one of those 'oh look, only 37s until the bidding ends. Let's stick a squid over the current price, eh?)' - Bu66er! Anyway it is on its way and is apparently (and looks) mint so we will see how it goes? I had a 6900 a few years ago which was good so this should be a step up for dabbling with. If only Xiegu opened up the firmware on the G90 to cover 11m I wouldn't need it ;)
'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn, and I take no prisoners' - Rik (The Young Ones - 1982)
flickpot
Call Sign: 163TM230

Post by flickpot »

Hope you get a good one pal..ebay is like a lottery..
163-TM-230
163-FB-230
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Marlin45 wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 21:02 The beer pushed me into bidding on an SS7900 last week, and I went and won the sale (one of those 'oh look, only 37s until the bidding ends. Let's stick a squid over the current price, eh?)' - Bu66er! Anyway it is on its way and is apparently (and looks) mint so we will see how it goes? I had a 6900 a few years ago which was good so this should be a step up for dabbling with. If only Xiegu opened up the firmware on the G90 to cover 11m I wouldn't need it ;)
If it's the V2, you're on to a winner. One of my favourites from the new Chinese derived radios. I love the large display and the S&P meters. Only thing that is a bit strange is the receiver audio gain. You need to crank up the volume control quite a bit to get decent audio. It then blasts out, almost as if the pot is not that logarithmic!
The V1 suffers from the same issue as most of the early Chinese radios and that's terrible AGC on receive, resulting in strong signals sounding distorted. Cured on the V2 though. :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

Just bought a lovely SS3900 I think it maybe a MK1 model condition looks amazing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SS3900
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Bought a brand new, boxed little Midland 78 for mobile use for £41. Will sell on my old Commtron Nato/CXX when I have an ebay £1 listing weekend come my way.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Fireproof wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 14:24 Just bought a lovely SS3900 I think it maybe a MK1 model condition looks amazing
Certainly looks like a MK1. Certainly an older an therefore better quality model. The first 3900's worked just as well as a 148 GTL-DX (especially the Dirland's). It's only when CRT took over that the build quality and performance started to suffer. It gradually got worse, and worse, and worse...

Where is the radio coming from? If its France you may find it's a 40 channe low powerl radio that will need opening up and a couple of components changing/removing.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

astradyne wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 16:24
Fireproof wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 14:24 Just bought a lovely SS3900 I think it maybe a MK1 model condition looks amazing
Certainly looks like a MK1. Certainly an older an therefore better quality model. The first 3900's worked just as well as a 148 GTL-DX (especially the Dirland's). It's only when CRT took over that the build quality and performance started to suffer. It gradually got worse, and worse, and worse...

Where is the radio coming from? If its France you may find it's a 40 channe low powerl radio that will need opening up and a couple of components changing/removing.
Hi Yes it looks to me like a MK1 but you can never really tell until its in your hands. The radio is coming from Spain, It was listed as new and never used. The guy wanted 200 Euro for it but we agreed at 135 Euro so quite happy with that, fingers crossed its genuine and not dodgy. The box looks like the Dirland ones but without the Dirland branding. The radio has foam box innards with the code UPT360001A ?
SS3900
Marlin45
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163CT266

Post by Marlin45 »

Auldgeek wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 20:41
Marlin45 wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 21:02 The beer pushed me into bidding on an SS7900 last week, and I went and won the sale (one of those 'oh look, only 37s until the bidding ends. Let's stick a squid over the current price, eh?)' - Bu66er! Anyway it is on its way and is apparently (and looks) mint so we will see how it goes? I had a 6900 a few years ago which was good so this should be a step up for dabbling with. If only Xiegu opened up the firmware on the G90 to cover 11m I wouldn't need it ;)
If it's the V2, you're on to a winner. One of my favourites from the new Chinese derived radios. I love the large display and the S&P meters. Only thing that is a bit strange is the receiver audio gain. You need to crank up the volume control quite a bit to get decent audio. It then blasts out, almost as if the pot is not that logarithmic!
The V1 suffers from the same issue as most of the early Chinese radios and that's terrible AGC on receive, resulting in strong signals sounding distorted. Cured on the V2 though. :thumbup:
Well it arrived and...it's mint. Exactly as described and looks like it have never been used. Still has the 'Norfolk CB Shack' anti-tamper sticker on the case. :D

Looking at the rear serial number etc there is no indication of version number (v1 or 2) so I am assuming V1?
'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn, and I take no prisoners' - Rik (The Young Ones - 1982)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Marlin45 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 19:11
Auldgeek wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 20:41
Well it arrived and...it's mint. Exactly as described and looks like it have never been used. Still has the 'Norfolk CB Shack' anti-tamper sticker on the case. :D

Looking at the rear serial number etc there is no indication of version number (v1 or 2) so I am assuming V1?
More often than not the revision number is printed onto the internal PCB. This would mean breaking the seals to be able to see it. If there's a date on the anti tamper seals and it's relatively recent chances are it's a newer model.

But if it's mint, still sealed and working well just enjoy the radio. It's what it's all about :D
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Marlin45 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 19:11

As Astradyne states you will probably have to go inside to check but if it's sealed, I wouldn't bother. There's another way to check though. The earlier 7900's did not come with ctcss and dcs fitted from the factory. As the vast majority of these are destined for 11m, very few folk would retro fit the boards, so if yours has them fitted, it's more likely to be a V2. You can check by going into the menu and see if the options can be enabled.
If it is a V1 and you hear distortion on strong ssb signals, the simple fix for the bad AGC is to simply back off the RF gain control until the audio clears up.

Anyway that aside, enjoy the radio. :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: