President Lincoln II or a SS 9900? Which to Buy??

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
TL24
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: TL24

President Lincoln II or a SS 9900? Which to Buy??

Post by TL24 »

So Ladies and Gents,

As the name suggests which is the better to buy and why please?
For me it's going to be used on 11M.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Re: President Lincoln II or a SS 9900? Which to Buy??

Post by mof000 »

The glory days of President radios are gone IMO. The Lincoln 2 has been plagued by problems also. There are newer revisions of the Lincoln so maybe they are ironed out?
I have the Anytone version of the ss 9900 and it's been a very good radio,better than what i thought it was going to be!

I know which i'd buy as £135 vs £235 a no brainer i think.
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Neither, get a good conditioned Mk1 Lincoln for about £100
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I'd rate the 9900 over the Lincoln 2. Very solid little radio's with a hefty 60W output on SSB. Good build quality too compared to the Lincoln 2.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I've had both and these days I only have one of them and it aint the President. Save your cash and buy the SS or the Anytone equivalent which is what I have.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

kilimax wrote:I've had both and these days I only have one of them and it aint the President. Save your cash and buy the SS or the Anytone equivalent which is what I have.
Also had both radio's but only have one now,I use the AT-6666 mobile.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

If these are your only options (dunno why ?) id got for Lincoln 2 v3 I had the ss9900 it went kaput after an hours use the trac had burnt up on the circuit board.I paid around £185 for my Lincoln 2 v3 from Nevada id ring them to get a deal theres a guy my way selling his as new with the wireless mic for £170 if your intrested
Smudger
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26FI420

Post by Smudger »

The receive on the lincoln is better than than the 9900, not the sound the 9900 does sound better, but if your trying to make sense of stuff coming in on the noise floor the lincoln will do a better job. I have both and use both, the lincoln i use when trying to get long distance groundwave or static mobile the features of the lincoln are more useful to me. fully illuminated and voltage display. Yes the 9900 has voltage display but its not very accurate and it only shows voltage at full draw ie transmitting. Have to say the lincoln voltage display isnt very accurate either but its nearer than the 9900 and shows voltage at low draw, this just makes it easier to monitor battery levels while out.
If your just rag chewing local or dx ing when its really going either will do a fine job and the better receive of the lincoln you probaby wont notice.
The constant VFO at first i didnt think i would get on with but i have grown to actually prefer it. I can move from T5 to the mids with ease and ukfm is on memory but without channel indicator. 9900 you can program how you like, you just have to press the band button to change.
I like and own them both,the lincoln comes out to play when im trying to get into the uk mid week net or DX with the proverbial little blue box, the 9900 comes out if i go portable, its just handy to have running near the same power but without having to drag around additional hardware.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Only had a 9900
Great form factor (size)
Nice power output
Rx and tx was good to great

Down side is the power output and cooling
Run it full power on fm or am and it will be boiling hot
Keep the power down to a sensible level and iys a good radio

I know 3 people had lincoln2 and they all said they were crap
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Mudslinger wrote:Neither, get a good conditioned Mk1 Lincoln for about £100
Exactly :thumbup:
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

mof000 wrote:The glory days of President radios are gone IMO.

Exactly,their design team must be well out of touch with what buyers want as most know the average age of a CB'er / radio amateur is 50 yrs old & there is no sign of the younger generation embracing the hobby of radio with all the other technology about,people want the quality non gimmick stuff that they remember not the cr*p they are churning out now,if only they made the original Lincoln etc again then their profits would be a lot more than what they must be now & also their reputation as a business would be a lot safer,you only have to look at the amount of Grant 2's etc on ebay to realise that they are cr*p compared to the older gear they once made.
jason
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM070

Post by jason »

Hey .... :-)

I have a grant 2 . Later version (premium) .
Not had a problem with it . Lots of good reports local and dx . Maybe i just got a good one but i would buy it again .
:-)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

It's all about comparisons, someone who bought a Fidelity 1000 in 1981 as their first ever radio probably thought it was the best rig on Earth, that is until they heard their mates Uniace and realised the Fidelity was a steaming turd.

And you can't compare oranges and apples, ie a Lincoln2 against an Icom IC-7800.

I have had a variant of the SS9900 but not the Lincoln2. I found the SS to be an excellent 'bang for buck' set, a lively front end akin to raspy old Cybernets and nice audio in and out. I used it on 10m as well and some folk were very surprised that I was using a cheap (comparative to what they were using) CB, to the extent that I know of one guy who purchased one for his car based on listening to mine on air.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Smudger
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26FI420

Post by Smudger »

Crusader wrote:
mof000 wrote:The glory days of President radios are gone IMO.

Exactly,their design team must be well out of touch with what buyers want as most know the average age of a CB'er / radio amateur is 50 yrs old & there is no sign of the younger generation embracing the hobby of radio with all the other technology about,people want the quality non gimmick stuff that they remember not the cr*p they are churning out now,if only they made the original Lincoln etc again then their profits would be a lot more than what they must be now & also their reputation as a business would be a lot safer,you only have to look at the amount of Grant 2's etc on ebay to realise that they are cr*p compared to the older gear they once made.
These are the circumstances around me here in cambridge, im sure mileage may vary in differing area's. On a weekly basis, there is around 12 of us that use ukfm for a chinwag, 5 of those 12 are less than 30, of the remaining the eldest is retired, us others are between 40 and 48.

Im not a sales or marketing expert, but i have experience of both, different product same game. I would bet my bottom dollar that the lincoln now is far cheaper to produce than the original. If using mass produced components, raising profits, you can take on the chin a higher returns rate so long as you resolve your issues.

As for reputation, this ties in with the above, president did resolve their issues they took back and fixed what was faulty and came through certainly with the lincoln 2. Should those issues of been there in the first place ? No of course not, but they did resolve their issues. I think out of all the export radio names out there presidents reputation is fairly well intact and their business is safe, but only their sales and marketing team will be certain of that, us naysayers truly are only guessing.

Here is a link of my first CRT radio with what i can only describe as someone keying up next to a tractor engine right on 27.555, the video sound doesnt do the problem justice to be fair it was worse when trying to listen with it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... ideo%2cmp4

Sorry for it being vertical, its the sound thats important.

Here is proof i do infact own both

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... hoto%2cjpg

CRT were contacted by the selling dealer in mid February and made aware of this issue. I didn't get the offer of sending it back, or CRT arranging to come get it so they can fix it, in the end the dealer replaced the radio.

Now do i think that CRT is a carp company ? Well given that my one radio is sounding like this its easy to spout on about how they make carp and dont buy one. Its easy to say crt are turning out rubbish, its easy to say crt are damaging their profits and reputation. I wont however, because the dealer and hats of to them identified the issue on their radios' and im very greatful that they replaced it with a CRT 9900. This CRT 9900 does not suffer from the same issue and is in fact a great little radio.
Would i buy another CRT radio ? Hell yes i would, but and this is the caveat, i would buy it from the same dealer that replaced mine. No matter if it were more expensive or not infact they were not the cheapest on the 7900 at the time.

These are the facts with myself:

The people i rag chew with are not average age of 50
My president lincoln 2 v3 is a great little radio, i think the V3 is about as fixed as it can get.
I had issues with a CRT7900
CRT didnt replace or offer to repair my radio
The CRT radio that replaced my 7900 (CRT 9900) is a great little radio

Now all that is said and done above please let me say that this is my experience with my radio's of which i do and have owned, and of the people i talk too here locally. Dont take this in any way as a personal attack it isnt, im sharing my experience of the two companies involved in the OP original post.

Either radio will serve him well, if i new then what i know now i would of bought the lincoln 2 v3 from the get go at over £220. If i didnt have that money i would of purchased the CRT990 and would of been pleased with. Hell most export radios will do what it says on the box, I will one day have to buy an original lincoln as so many people do share your thoughts that the radio is a better radio than the lincoln 2. I dont own an original one so i cannot either deny or confirm that. I always find the proof is in the pudding
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Smudger wrote:The receive on the lincoln is better than than the 9900, not the sound the 9900 does sound better, but if your trying to make sense of stuff coming in on the noise floor the lincoln will do a better job.
Watch this video that I found and then say a Lincoln 2 has good receive again please :think:

https://youtu.be/fiqAqOtsRO4

I would buy a real Lincoln a Mk 1 TBH