What's the most "modified" CB radio?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: What's the most "modified" CB radio?

Post by The Collector »

Otter wrote: 02 May 2021, 18:20
The Collector wrote: 02 May 2021, 13:22 I gave up modding stuff a few years back. Anyway, after creating a purple Amstrad 901 with noise squelch, the 80ch mod and a built-in Vu meter with an extra row of LED's, I couldn't think of anything more crazy to create anyway! ;)
You could add SSB to it with a Maurer module, then use another Maurer mod to give it lo, mid, hi, +10kc +5kc and UK. And instead of just making it purple, you could make it multi-coloured.
Well the cases on it are already painted in a metallic turquoise green, so that sort of covers that aspect ;) Might do a Youtube video of it one of the days if I can suss out how to do that properly. It should get at least 3 or 4 views!

As for adding SSB, I don't know how to use it to be quite honest, so it'd be a waste of time for me personally. I did actually try and TX on SSB on my Petrusse Homebase a while back to try and contact someone on here thst was having RX issues, but he couldn't hear me..although the salvo of beeps that I let off could be heard by another member on here 80-odd miles away, ground-wave.
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

bigpimp347 wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 22:13
Clapdoctor wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:28 The am USA Cybernet PLL 02A 2 crystal loop chassis radios because they are very easily modified for 26.435- 27.705 meh with 2 toggle switches.
10 year old thread and a reply that makes the mind boggle.!
Yeah, mad looking at stuff I posted a decade ago...lol
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's a real shame that Paul, Ashtec no longer frequents the forum these days. His experience was very helpful (even if I personally didn't have a clue what he was going on about most of the time!).
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Modified a Tristar 747 with both barrels of a shotgun a sledge hammer & FIRE.
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

Any major 360 or 588 as they all seem to be "doctored"
163TM122 - ROB
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Avenger wrote: 09 May 2021, 22:15 Any major 360 or 588 as they all seem to be "doctored"
...and Multimode II's ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

your amstrad 901 were you never tempted to play with the bleep mind you 2sa608 dose blow if you play! 3 different bleeps could be made the best sounding like a echo one sounding like a scretching horse time on my hands 80S Lol have a bad rough diagram some place with the then components to use obvious caps resistors were used and a few caps out of old tv boards as was lol
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

mind you a jumbo mk 3 a five tone yellow green into each other and moded to hell with a delay that took 15mins to unkey good too play in your youth and be a little sh1t lol
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

and ps when most were playing with the 10.240 ref crystall to get on to 28.000mhz aptly called channel 41 usiing a inductor used to get you one channel below uks a big capacitor in a harvard 407 across pll chip had same result! talking of the handheld if you ever get one try tightly putting a ext speaker socket for external speaker really would be surprised how good a standard hh it was back in the day amazing! lol
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

re cap ment harvard 41ot hh amstrads on the brain all from memory mind, bound to get a hiccup old memories lol
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

so then you could have a ptbm134aox board with a 10.200 crystal 11 ch on hi band, a mids lc7132 convo for mids ch41 n hi. and a var-inductor 2759125 on uk. also mids for the A channels, 3 7 11 15 AND 19 on mids mind you back then spent as much on am! twaz a blur Honest you could put v-pwr on a low lin resistor or transistor on the board or breach the v-resistor with say a brown black brown gold resistor-100 ohms on the lin terminals lin to go even lower in nano watts so no git could hear you only locals drop off very abrupt it does like a notch affect lets face it if you did a milli watt v power and neddle not move sed to find a sig 7 most could here you with say a 5\8th hbase aerial on tx milla watting not the best way of being lol
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

warhorse wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 23:29 your amstrad 901 were you never tempted to play with the bleep....
I nearly always turn beeps off anyway, they drive most people mad.
The "Madstrad", as I named it, had the beep off and the button for it used for another function:

(Note- the "curvature" or dip on the top of the radio is just a glitch of some kind, it's perfectly flat in real life. You see a few pictures on ebay like that).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

nice pic! i suppose most virgin 901s still have that annoying resistor on the back of the rf gain? vr. good to know though i guess if see on ebay lol unclip it and rf gain, to de gain a signal improves but still pants! then playing re(tuning) with the boards rx and adding 1 resistor - rf gain was good very improved rf gain for backing off sigs grey red brown worked well! still have a pic with basic mod ut reinlinement was a must just that annoying free wire to do with rx? in the bundle ok but very sensitive lol in a 407 hb you can piggy back the 4049s unbuf to invert kind of mods you did as was cheap at getting away from the bleed over idiots bit like having a tristar 727 and changing the crystals for diff, bands other than hihi n mids or hi low n mids lol n 10 watts out ,15 on am vertsion had a few go down at the fault was not the diode but the lastish encased inductor like continuety but wouldnt pass any rf, just saying if anyone has a 727 with no tx could be that fault lol