My Stalker XX Restoration

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM360

My Stalker XX Restoration

Post by Clint »

Here is my Stalker XX, I purchased this as a non working radio a few months ago and have just started to look over it.

Here is a picture of it on my bench:

On initial inspection the mains fuse was blown, when powered by an external source there was no volume, the signal meter is at maximum and the clock does not work, I have a feeling just looking at the added band switch that has terrible soldering and diodes hanging off that this wont be the only issues I face but I like to fix the initial problems first. I think this one will be on and off the bench while I solve each problem while other radios come and go.

Anyway the volume looked easy the wires were off the control pot, so I rewired the volume control, which enabled very faint noise to be heard, so knowing that the volume switch was now working and the volume issue was somewhere else I thought I would move onto the signal meter being at max deflection. Not having a circuit diagram to hand I traced the wire from the meter to the rear of the board, next to it was a transistor and 2 diodes, the transistor was the wrong way around but I have seen this a lot in Uniden radios, normally where a 2SC710 had been subsctiuted for a 2SC945 - so I removed it to check and guess what not only was I right about the 2SC710 and a suprise the volume came back !!! I replaced it with a 2SC945 as I have a draw full of them, now the signal from my signal generator was being heard too. However the meter was still at full deflection, well its progress but I still have not fixed the meter issue but I will do exactly that next.

And a Picture of the PC411-AD circuit board this is the same as the President Madison Chassis

Somthing I will need to sort out is the band switch its horrible and has a extra crystal thrown on some vero board that looks a real mess too:

Anyway enough for today :)
26-TM-360
Old 80's Radios and lots of them - Vintage Computers especially late 70's C=PETS :)
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: My Stalker XX Restoration

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

Nice project.....keep the thread updated :) as things happen
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

Day 2

I started today to look at the full deflection meter issue, this was a tricky one I kept checking components only to find they were ok, a full twist of the RX signal pot pulled the needle back to 0, so I knew it was before this, and then wham I saw an issue:

A blob of dropped solder; I cleaned this up and presto the meter now works as it should:

So I decided to check out the band switch next, first thing I did was remove it and the horribly fitted UK40 ROM mod repairing the cut tracks around the PLL:

I then started to check through the oscillators hard wiring the low crystal in place:

All the oscilators are working fine but the channel switchs N Codes are not only about 17 channels are switching and they are not right, so my next job is to go through the channel switch wiring and make sure its back to standard, a job for another day :)
26-TM-360
Old 80's Radios and lots of them - Vintage Computers especially late 70's C=PETS :)
flickpot
Call Sign: 163TM230

Post by flickpot »

Nice little or not so little project there cliff, hope you get it all sorted, lovely radio to restore..
163-TM-230
163-FB-230
MrYo01
Regular
Regular

Post by MrYo01 »

Hi ever one
Just like to say what an excelent site and how informitive it is.
I would like to offer some help to you on you project as I have an untouched stalker xx (at the moment) as I will be soon sticking in a channel expander kit init. Any i am more than happy to take pics or voltage readings of parts of the board. BTW the clock only works off the main power supliy inside.

All the best steve. :)
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

Hi Steve, thats great I will shout if I need anything, I have moved this to the ongoing shelf at the moment while I fix up some of the other radios I have been waiting on parts for.

Would love to see some pics of yours though :)
26-TM-360
MrYo01
Regular
Regular

Post by MrYo01 »

Hi
Will post some pics when I work out how to get them to show on her have tried for a while now to do it :oops: . [img]IMAG0019.jpg[/img]
Steve :)
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

26-TM-360
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

MrYo01 wrote:Hi
Will post some pics when I work out how to get them to show on her have tried for a while now to do it :oops: . [img]IMAG0019.jpg[/img]
Try using photobucket also. A lot of members display their images this way :)
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

astradyne wrote:
MrYo01 wrote:Hi
Try using photobucket also. A lot of members display their images this way :)
Yes and then they delete them when they run out of space and the post becomes useless ;)
26-TM-360
MrYo01
Regular
Regular

Post by MrYo01 »

Hi here are the pics I hope

and there she is
the PA I was told by the guy I had her was changed by the factory it cam from and it also had FM.
Thank you for the usful link.
Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

thanks for the pics Steve I don't know how but I missed your reply, I have finally cleared some space to bring this one down next to the main workspace I have so I can potter away on it. So I am looking to spend next weekend in the shack clearing some rigs off the 'in progress' shelf :)
26-TM-360
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Clint wrote: clearing some rigs off the 'in progress' shelf :)
Damn you Clint... so efficient you have a mere shelf ! I on the other hand have a cupboard.... a very big... very full... bursting door.... cupboard. :(
'In progress' at the Ugly One's place means... tinkered.... discovered fault... lost part... found part but lost rest of board... united both... forgot what original fault was... got bored.... played with something else for a bit.... put it back in cupboard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Clint »

Oh Bob you do make me laugh :)
26-TM-360
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

""I love it bob""

Ive sent my Ranger ar over to are Clint as ive been looking at his work and it's looking all good to me some one has had a right play about in the poor thing as well as that some one has tryed to fitt irf520's in it but when i removed them they was missing leg's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So im hopeing my radio will get on to his progress' shelf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any way abig thanks to Clint for having a look for me do what you can with it mate and let me know what the bill is at the end of it will be im not a tight ass i know what Kenwood and Yaesu charge to look at radio's...........................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: