magpie autoscan 5000

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
bluas

magpie autoscan 5000

Post by bluas »

anybody done mods for the magpie
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: magpie autoscan 5000

Post by bigpimp347 »

why ??

the rigs a peice of CB history and should never be modded..trying to get one is like winning the lottery..!!

so why ruin a a real classic..well ahead of it's time when built..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

I agree... leave it alone. A tidy one is a collectors dream, and they wouldn't want it messed with. For a straight forty UK CB they're supposed to be very good. The channel display numbers aren't LED's - they're like little neons... very different. :)
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

the channels a sort of filament bulb thing, similar found on the early Craig AM and SSB rigs too, real unique, only the magpie had the first cool blue display, scan and after all, did look the boolocks..!!

i'd love another, but last i saw fetched way over £50..for a CB..!!!!
a mate of mine has two the greedy sod, one might be mine if i can get one out of him..lol..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bluas

Post by bluas »

cost me £135 new came in a cardboard box in 84 ish 19 instead 14 on switch on. still think over rated , put a es880 box on it.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Old thread that i must dig up,what was the modification that Magpie performed to make the rig goto channel 19 instead of 14 when you turn the rig on? a diode swap or something?? anyone know?? cheers.
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

I know it was an option at time of purchase, so it must be fairly simple I'd have thought.

Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

UGLY_BOB wrote:I know it was an option at time of purchase, so it must be fairly simple I'd have thought.
Hi Bob,yes i know that bit mate,question is how is it made to do it??? as its not documented online. :? BTW just bought me x2 minters :D
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Moding an magpie autoscan 5000 how interesting.

I was thinking of buying an magpie autoscan to do a bit of moding to.
May be mid block is an idea for you ive not looked in to the magpie to see how it work's may self but one day i will.
The ch 9 to ch 19 is a good mod to have these day's i do this mod a lot these day's ive just done my cobra 148 with this mod the autoscan's FM audio is very good so that dont need eney mods.

Well good luck with it mate theres not much in the way with mods for this radio on the internet but there's all way's some one out there that know's some think.....................................

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Yep well i don't believe in defacing classic radios,so no extra channels,bleeps,echos etc,as you only devalue the radio and wreck a classic,which is something i have the conscience not to do,all i want is to do the above mentioned mod which was something they did at the factory as optional anyway,heres hoping someone knows how its done? :?
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

The-General wrote:Old thread that i must dig up,what was the modification that Magpie performed to make the rig goto channel 19 instead of 14 when you turn the rig on? a diode swap or something?? anyone know?? cheers.
I've never seen one of these rigs so I'm guessing.

Looking at the schematic on CB tricks - look at IC7 and IC8.
The inputs ABCD are preloads. IC8 looks like it does 10s of channels and IC7 looks like 1s.

Looks like IC7 pin 13 should be removed from whatever it's connected to, and connected to ground instead.
Disconnect the wire coming from the Normal/Ch.9 switch where it connects to the board at point 32.

Well, that's my guess. Try it at your risk...
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Hi Tim - the default (on switch-on) on these is 14 (unless when bought it was set to 19) The channel nine switch is a separate function. The info requested was to change the default from 14 to 19 rather than make the channel 9 switch do it.
Ugs

Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I realise that m8, and the procedure I outlined above should do it.

Try it?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Nice one Tim... just checking... have to keep you on your toes you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Cheers for the input Tim,was hoping you would comment :)
Yeah well to be honest i dont wanna trash a perfectly good radio as much as i know you are really clued up with radio tech stuff, i dont want to take the risk& end up buggering up a perfectly good classic rig,i will save the info you have suggested and as soon as a "guinea pig" donar radio comes along i will definetly give it a go,thanx again mate :D