Sirio vector 4000 self tappers to x4 basket radial advice

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Sirio vector 4000 self tappers to x4 basket radial advice

Post by original45 »

Interested to hear from those who know or put on up well. Instructions states use self tappers to screw the 4 radials to the 4nylon basket stays.
No pre drilled holes just a bit of thread in end outer face of plastic bracket.
Firstly I don't like this idea as I have heard of self tapping screw heads shearing off and that won't be easy to remove for future adjustment of repair.

So whats the crack here, my gut says once in situ drill to assist the screw but instructions don't state to do so. But I don't like this, I'm considering opening up the holes in 4 plastic supports so it can sit lower on bottom tube and slit the top of lower alloy tube carefully to fit quality jubilee clips to secure.
If rather not enlarge hole and sit supports higher as then your on a weaker tube thinner dia

Interesting antenna. Wondering if their are improvements to its build and reliability people have made.
warhorse

Re: Sirio vector 4000 self tappers to x4 basket radial advice

Post by warhorse »

Nice aerial-but put 2 jubilee clips either side of gamma match bracket! - Centre pole.. also top section on old 4000 can break, i would defo use something inside of top sections to strengthen!!!-https://officinahf.jimdofree.com/antenn ... ctor-4000/
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Just about anything you do to get rid of the rot for fun screws is a plus, swapping them for stainless would be a good idea, i don't know why sirio don't supply stainless screws its not like they are expensive if bought in bulk by a factory like sirio,

The spreader screws just crush the lower tube on the upper tube, they rot & the tubes come loose,
moving the spreaders up or down a bit & fitting lighweight punched stainless hose clamps would make a much better long term connection,

A couple of vectors from my antenna graveyard converted to 6mtrs to test Vortex mk2 calims,
https://imgur.com/gZplCWq
https://imgur.com/cofRhjm

& another to test the radial claims
https://imgur.com/s4P527S
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Cheers guys I love this kind of thinking new or old improving before using .to my autistic mind it makes sense and if I don't do so or consider it plays heavily on the mind occasionally to meltdown
So Thank you again great ideas and confirmations
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

I have never put a sirio up as it came from the factory so your not alone in wanting to improve things,

my avanti sigma4 is heavily modified with a full 1/4wave 4 radial cone & fatter double skinned lower section,

I realised the original 7/8 vector and all other 7/8 coaxial j-poles are too long for best gain at low angles & adjusted it to what worked best where I had it installed,

I chopped the bottom section of my sirio 2012 just below the swage, binned the flimsy sirio radiator & replaced it with stronger better quality radiator from an original skipmaster 5/8,

My Gain-Master is not assembled to sirio instructions because the instructions are stupid & cause them to split / snap.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

This is the thing they take short cuts ,cheap screws poor design that's why my mind looks at things to note when I can where I can improve it.
These little snippets of info on minor improvements need noting so those who are interested can follow best advice.