Superstar 3900G or 148GTL/DX

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Superstar 3900G or 148GTL/DX

Post by cb4ever104 »

ch25 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 10:46 rfi free
:thumbup:
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Redbandit
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Redbandit07

Post by Redbandit »

Hello Claude, in this 4th post you mentioned something, you wrote: "I guess it worked from the start because the power coils L503 L504 got hot at one point".. On the cobra 25 the one coil still looks shiny copper.. So Question: these two power coils, on my super Star, do they need replacing, or are they ok to continue to use?

I also found out that all the pots are described as dirty by some tech friend of a friend who checked them. So I bought contact cleaner and can of compressed air. Gonna pull it apart and clean them. But I'm concerned about them coils.

I am currently looking to buy a new PS, 13.8v 22 or 30amp.. they cost about the same, so I'll take the 30a.
What say ye..? Thx

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Photo Collector CB RADIO
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

There is nothing wrong with those which changed colour.
You could replace them, but new ones will change colour the same way unless you replace them with higher current rating.
Chris
You can't have too many antennas...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Redbandit wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 23:51 I also found out that all the pots are described as dirty by some tech friend of a friend who checked them. So I bought contact cleaner and can of compressed air. Gonna pull it apart and clean them
What exactly are you going to pull apart John ?
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The "cans" by the sounds of it? Will that make any difference at all?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:00 The "cans" by the sounds of it? Will that make any difference at all?
Nope. I thought he was maybe talking about cleaning the front controls. I can't think of anything on that radio that needs pulled apart. I also would take much heed of a "tech friend of a friend " Anyway. Let's wait and see.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cb4ever104 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 03:54
The Collector wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:00 The "cans" by the sounds of it? Will that make any difference at all?
Nope. I thought he was maybe talking about cleaning the front controls. I can't think of anything on that radio that needs pulled apart. I also would take much heed of a "tech friend of a friend " Anyway. Let's wait and see.
That'd make more sense being "pots". I usually just blast a bit of spray close to the tiny gap on the control after pulling the knobs off and let the pressure push it inside a bit. A bit of wiggling and turning usually does the job then.

That's about the maximum level of my radio expertise! ;)
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 10:20 A bit of wiggling and turning usually does the job then.
Think I've only had to strip one down once or twice . And that was because of the on/off switch . As you say most issues can be resolved with switch cleaner and a careful aim :) Even when they get bashed and continually rotate , this can be easily fixed with some long nosed pliers .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Redbandit
Regular
Regular

Post by Redbandit »

Good morning gentlemen, wow, ye said alot..hehe. Awesome. Thank ya so much..

Well guys,, to try and be clear, I'm not certain if "Cans" is another description you guys use for "Pots" potentiometers. But since this radio was in storage for 8+yrs, it is safe to assume the ambient changes (temperatures) in that storage facility Cause electronic equipment a build up sorta film much like brass keys turn dull.

Pots have that brass contact that sits and rides on a carbon track. Its called dirt but its not that dirt gets in, its just a film that builds up and prevents proper contact, thus giving a noise or crackle when knob is turned. This I know first hand bcuz I've had to open the pot on my Fender guitar and cleaned it back to proper operation.

Claude, what I mean by "pulling apart ", is that the knobs have to come off, and the face plate, in order to gain access to any opening on ALL the pots, switches etc, so I can spray the safe chemical cleaner for electrical equipment. Hopefully I don't have to separate them from the frame to do so.

And Sammy, yes, you are correct, its a switch cleaner.

Chris mentioned the power coils will turn dark again if replaced, UNLESS they are replaced with stronger ones. I'm not kean on all the proprietary notions of electrical components, but is replacing for higher current ones an ok thing?

The friend tech of my friend is qualified to work on radios, I saw he knew his thing. However, his initial check on my radios was short of satisfying. So If after cleaning up here, they don't put out, I'll resort to take it to the official and local Cb/Ham radio repair shop.
Thx.
John
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Redbandit wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 15:48 what I mean by "pulling apart ", is that the knobs have to come off, and the face plate, in order to gain access to any opening on ALL the pots, switches etc, so I can spray the safe chemical cleaner for electrical equipment. Hopefully I don't have to separate them from the frame to do so.
You can do this from the inside without removing anything . Don't get me wrong . It's a lot easier when it disassembled , but it's not 100% necessary . Most of the variable controls have a small gap in the casing where the switch cleaner straw thingy can be directed into .
Redbandit wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 15:48 but is replacing for higher current ones an ok thing?
These are just RF chokes on the power line and there's no reason to change them (unless they're open circuit) , even if they are slightly discoloured .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Redbandit
Regular
Regular

Post by Redbandit »

Thank you Sammy, good to know. I am aware of the gap in the pot which the straw can be inserted. As for the RF choke, I guess I will leave them as is.

The photo I believe Claude posted of a ss3900hp seemed to have some mods on it. I saw some wires gong around. An orange and a black one on an IC, a white next to one of the power coils. Any word on this?

Thx again guys.
John
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello John

The wires gong around. An orange and a black one on an IC is for DFB = ANF on Galaxy 2517

NOISE FILTER: This filter de-emphasizes audio high frequency
response in order to increase the signal-to-noise ratio of weak
signals. While you will notice a dramatic reduction in the
“rushing” sound when this filter is activated., it does not have
much effect on the signal-to-noise ratio of strong signals

PCB is EPT360080Z

The white next to one of the power coils is for RF POWER

RF POWER: This control is used to adjust the RF power output
level you want in AM or FM transmission.

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Redbandit
Regular
Regular

Post by Redbandit »

Humm, nice looking radio,, but sounds like its not none of my business,..hehe.

So what do you think of my intentions with cleaning the pots? (or cans).. Is that what ya call them, cans?

Thx again.

John
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The cans, as I think they're sometimes called are the telephone box-shaped metal things with adjustable cores in them. I'm certainly no expert with electronic stuff I'll admit and I'm not even sure of the correct technical term for them :) but I was unsure if your tech guy had twiddled these to set voltages etc. and found then to be "gritty" or something like that.